Zoom on the Generac GP2200i
In summary, the Generac GP2200i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP2200i houses a 80 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1,700W along with a peak wattage of 2,200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (GP2200i Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon allows the GP2200i to operate for up to 10.75 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH).
The GP2200i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
As the Generac GP2200i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L19.7 x W11.4 x H17.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the GP2200i weighs just 46.6 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Generac GP2200i also comes with some accessories: oil and funnel are included.
The Generac GP2200i is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP2200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP2200i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 46.6 pounds, the Generac GP2200i places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM2000i, standing at just 34.2 lbs.
- Since the GP2200i boasts with a run time of up to 10.75 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most inverter generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP2300iH, with up to 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Generac GP2200i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- High run time
- Decent weight (46.6 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|80 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
|1x 12V 8A
1x 5V USB port
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|19.7 x 11.4 x 17.9 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Oil and funnel
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are engineered and built in the USA. However, their components can be a mix of domestic and foreign parts.
The Generac GP2200i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
What is the noise rating of the GP2200i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.