Zoom on the Generac GP8000E
In a nutshell, the Generac GP8000E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP8000E is powered by a 420 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 8000W as well as a peak wattage of 10000W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The GP8000E can operate for around 9.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the GP8000E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
The Generac GP8000E has the following dimensions: L28.8 x W27.25 x H25.75 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 197 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀9.5") and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the GP8000E's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an illuminated data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Generac also included some oil in the GP8000E's packaging.
The Generac GP8000E is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Generac GP8000E has only 197 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 7500 to 8500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, standing at just 185 lbs.
- As the GP8000E offers 9.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman H08053, with 12 hours .
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 0.79 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WPro8500. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Generac GP8000E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (197 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
Where to buy the Generac GP8000E?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28.8 x 27.25 x 25.75 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.