Zoom on the Generac GP3300
In a nutshell, the Generac GP3300 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3300 is powered by a 163 cc (208 hp) Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3300W as well as a peak wattage of 3750W.
This generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.35 gallons allows the GP3300 to operate for around 10.3 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
The quite high THD (<25%) of the GP3300 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
The design of the Generac GP3300 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24.2 x W22.5 x H21 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 101.5 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the GP3300 includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Generac GP3300's package also includes these accessories: oil and RV adapter.
The Generac GP3300 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP3300 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3300 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its weight is 101.5 pounds, the Generac GP3300 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Generac GP3300i with only 59.5 pounds.
- The GP3300, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10.3 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac GP3300 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (101.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||163 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3300 W|
|Starting watts||3750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||27.5/13.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||31.3/15.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.35 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.2 x 22.5 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, RV adapter, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3300 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2605 W||3705 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2635 W||3225 W|
|Total||2600 W||3700 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP3300?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.