Zoom on the Generac GP3250
In a nutshell, the Generac GP3250 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3250's engine, 208 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3250W and reaches a peak wattage of 3750W.
This generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons, the GP3250 may run for around 9.7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The GP3250 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
The Generac GP3250 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L22.75 x W22 x H21 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 110 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Generac GP3250 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Generac GP3250 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP3250 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3250 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 110 lbs, the Generac GP3250 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Generac GP3300i, weighing just 59.5 pounds.
- The GP3250's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9.7 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac GP3250 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Decent weight (110 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3250 W|
|Starting watts||3750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||27.1/13.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||31.3/15.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.75 x 22 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3250 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2247 W||3747 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2590 W||3180 W|
|Total||2580 W||3680 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP3250?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
What is the gap setting on the valves on a Generac 3250 engine? (Asked May 25, 2020)
Valve clearances are the following: Intake 0.10mm ± 0.02/0.004" ± 0.0008 (cold) — Exhaust 0.15mm ± 0.02/0.006" ± 0.0008 (cold)
Is the output a pure sine wave? (Asked August 25, 2020)
No. This unit's THD is <20%.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.