Zoom on the Generac GP3250
In a nutshell, the Generac GP3250 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3250's engine, 208 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3250W and reaches a peak wattage of 3750W.
This generator offers the possibility to start the device via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the GP3250 can operate for around 9.7 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons.
Since the GP3250 has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
The Generac GP3250 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L22.75 x W22 x H21 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 110 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Generac GP3250's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, letting you start it right off the bat.
The Generac GP3250 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Generac GP3250 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3250 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a weight of 110 pounds, the Generac GP3250 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- The GP3250’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 9.7 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, as it provides around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.36 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac GP3250 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (110 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3250 W|
|Starting watts||3750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||27.1/13.5 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||31.3/15.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 20A (L14-20R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||22.75 x 22 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3250 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.