Zoom on the Generac GP3250
In a nutshell, the Generac GP3250 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3250 is powered by a 208 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3250W as well as a peak wattage of 3750W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the GP3250 can operate for around 9.7 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons.
As the GP3250 has a relatively high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
The design of the Generac GP3250 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L22.75 x W22 x H21 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 110 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Generac GP3250's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Generac GP3250 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP3250 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3250 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 110 lbs, the Generac GP3250 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Generac GP3300i, weighing just 59.5 pounds.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 9.7 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the GP3250 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac GP3250 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (110 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3250 W|
|Starting watts||3750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||27.1/13.5 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||31.3/15.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.75 x 22 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3250 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2247 W||3747 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2590 W||3180 W|
|Total||2580 W||3680 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP3250?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
What is the gap setting on the valves on a Generac 3250 engine? (Asked May 25, 2020)
Valve clearances are the following: Intake 0.10mm ± 0.02/0.004" ± 0.0008 (cold) — Exhaust 0.15mm ± 0.02/0.006" ± 0.0008 (cold)
Is the output a pure sine wave? (Asked August 25, 2020)
No. This unit's THD is <20%.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.