Zoom on the Generac GP3250
In summary, the Generac GP3250 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3250's engine, 208 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3250W and reaches a peak wattage of 3750W.
This generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons allows the GP3250 to operate for around 9.7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
Since the GP3250 has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
The dimensions of the Generac GP3250, which are L22.75 x W22 x H21 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 110 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Generac GP3250's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Generac GP3250 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP3250 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3250 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With its weight of 110 lbs, the Generac GP3250 is one of the heavier generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of only 59.5 lbs.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9.7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the GP3250 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac GP3250 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (110 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3250 W|
|Starting watts||3750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||27.1/13.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||31.3/15.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.75 x 22 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3250 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2272 W||3747 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2590 W||3180 W|
|Total||2580 W||3680 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP3250?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
What is the gap setting on the valves on a Generac 3250 engine? (Asked May 25, 2020)
Valve clearances are the following: Intake 0.10mm ± 0.02/0.004" ± 0.0008 (cold) — Exhaust 0.15mm ± 0.02/0.006" ± 0.0008 (cold)
Is the output a pure sine wave? (Asked August 25, 2020)
No. This unit's THD is <20%.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.