-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 6
Zoom on the Generac GP3250
In a nutshell, the Generac GP3250 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3250 houses a 208 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3,250W along with a peak wattage of 3,750W.
This generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons allows the GP3250 to operate for around 9.7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the GP3250 is not recommended due to its high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
With its dimensions of L22.75 x W22 x H21 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Generac GP3250 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 110 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Generac GP3250 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Generac GP3250 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Generac GP3250 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3250 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 110 pounds, the Generac GP3250 is one of the heavier generators producing between 2500 and 3500 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- As the GP3250 offers around 9.7 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.36 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.22 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac GP3250 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (110 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,250 W|
|Starting watts||3,750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||27.1/13.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||31.3/15.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.75 x 22 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3250 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2272 W||3747 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2590 W||3180 W|
|Total||2580 W||3680 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP3250?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
What is the gap setting on the valves on a Generac 3250 engine? (Asked May 25, 2020)
Valve clearances are the following: Intake 0.10mm ± 0.02/0.004" ± 0.0008 (cold) — Exhaust 0.15mm ± 0.02/0.006" ± 0.0008 (cold)
Is the output a pure sine wave? (Asked August 25, 2020)
No. This unit's THD is <20%.
What should the spark plug gap be on a 3250 Generac (Asked December 14, 2021)
Spark plug gap should be 0.030 inch.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.