Zoom on the Generac GP1800
In summary, the Generac GP1800 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP1800 houses a 163 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1800W along with a peak wattage of 2050W.
This generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the GP1800 can operate for around 10.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons.
The GP1800 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<25%).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
The dimensions of the Generac GP1800, which are L22.8 x W16.8 x H17.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the GP1800's weight is only 84 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Generac also included a funnel in the GP1800's packaging.
The Generac GP1800 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Generac GP1800 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP1800 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 84 pounds, the Generac GP1800 is one of the heavier generators producing between 1500 and 2500 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- As the GP1800 features an autonomy of around 10.5 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides around 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.33 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.12 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Generac GP1800 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (84 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||163 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2050 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||17.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 16.8 x 17.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||5981|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP1800 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1047 W||2047 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1400 W||1400 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.