Zoom on the Generac GP1800
In a nutshell, the Generac GP1800 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP1800 is powered by a 163 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1800W as well as a peak wattage of 2050W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons allows the GP1800 to operate for around 10.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
The quite high THD (<25%) of the GP1800 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
The Generac GP1800 has the following dimensions: L22.8 x W16.8 x H17.3 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The GP1800's dry weight of 84 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Generac also included a funnel in the GP1800's packaging.
The Generac GP1800 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP1800 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP1800 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its dry weight is 84 pounds, the Generac GP1800 is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 1500 to 2500 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 10.5 hours at 50% load, the GP1800 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching around 20 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.33 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.12 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Generac GP1800 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (84 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||163 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2050 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||17.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 16.8 x 17.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||5981|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP1800 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1047 W||2047 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.