Zoom on the Generac GP1800
In summary, the Generac GP1800 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP1800 houses a 163 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1800W along with a peak wattage of 2050W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the GP1800 can operate for around 10.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons.
The quite high THD (<25%) of the GP1800 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
The Generac GP1800 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L22.8 x W16.8 x H17.3 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The GP1800's dry weight of 84 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Generac also included a funnel in the GP1800's packaging.
The Generac GP1800 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP1800 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP1800 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 84 pounds, the Generac GP1800 is one of the heavier generators producing between 1500 and 2500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 200949 with only 38.6 pounds.
- As the GP1800 features an autonomy of around 10.5 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching around 20 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.33 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.12 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Generac GP1800 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (84 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||163 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2050 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||17.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 16.8 x 17.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||5981|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP1800 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1047 W||2047 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP1800?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.