Zoom on the Generac GP1800
In summary, the Generac GP1800 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP1800 houses a 163 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1,800W along with a peak wattage of 2,050W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons, the GP1800 may run for around 10.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
The GP1800 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<25%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
The design of the Generac GP1800 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L22.8 x W16.8 x H17.3 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The 84 lbs of the GP1800's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Generac also included a funnel in the GP1800's packaging.
The Generac GP1800 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP1800 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP1800 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a dry weight of 84 pounds, the Generac GP1800 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 1500 and 2500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- As the GP1800 features an autonomy of around 10.5 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG3250, reaching around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.33 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.11 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Generac GP1800 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (84 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||163 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1,800 W|
|Starting watts||2,050 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||17.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 16.8 x 17.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||5981|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are engineered and built in the USA. However, their components can be a mix of domestic and foreign parts.
The Generac GP1800 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1047 W||2047 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP1800?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.