Zoom on the Generac GP1800
In a nutshell, the Generac GP1800 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP1800's core is the 163 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1800W and a peak wattage of 2050W.
This generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons, the GP1800 can operate for around 10.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
The quite high THD (<25%) of the GP1800 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
The Generac GP1800 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L22.8 x W16.8 x H17.3 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 84 lbs of the GP1800's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Generac also included a funnel in the GP1800's packaging.
The Generac GP1800 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP1800 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP1800 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- A weight of 84 lbs makes the Generac GP1800 one of the heavier devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 200949 with only 38.6 pounds.
- As the GP1800 features an autonomy of around 10.5 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.33 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.12 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Generac GP1800 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (84 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||163 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2050 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||17.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 16.8 x 17.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||5981|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP1800 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1047 W||2047 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1400 W||1400 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.