Zoom on the Generac GP6500
In summary, the Generac GP6500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP6500 is powered by a 389 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 6500W as well as a peak wattage of 8125W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 7.2 gallons allows the GP6500 to operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.72 GPH).
The GP6500 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
The design of the Generac GP6500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27.25 x W27 x H25 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 177 lbs. Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀9.5") and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the GP6500 includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Generac GP6500 also comes with the basic documentation and a user manual, allowing you to start it right away.
The Generac GP6500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP6500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP6500 compare to generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Generac GP6500 has only 177 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 6000 to 7000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Lifan LF7250 with only 140 pounds.
- The GP6500’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, which is able to run for around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.72 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, with a fuel consumption of 0.38 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 6000-7000W generators, the Generac GP6500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight for its kind (177 lbs)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6500 W|
|Starting watts||8125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||67.7/33.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.25 x 27 x 25 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP6500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.