Zoom on the Generac GP6500
In a nutshell, the Generac GP6500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP6500 is powered by a 389 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 6500W as well as a peak wattage of 8125W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.2 gallons, the GP6500 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.72 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the GP6500 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
The Generac GP6500 has the following dimensions: L27.25 x W27 x H25 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 177 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀9.5") and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
Monitoring of the GP6500's status and activity is made possible by an illuminated data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Generac GP6500's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, letting you start it right off the bat.
The Generac GP6500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP6500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP6500 compare to generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Generac GP6500 has only 177 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 6000 to 7000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of only 140 lbs.
- Autonomy-wise, with 10 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the GP6500 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar PG7500B, with 13 hours .
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.72 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 6000-7000W generators, the Generac GP6500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Lightweight for its kind (177 lbs)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Generac GP6500?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6500 W|
|Starting watts||8125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||67.7/33.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.25 x 27 x 25 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP6500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.