Zoom on the Generac GP5500
In summary, the Generac GP5500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP5500's build contains a gasoline-fueled 389 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5500W and also a peak wattage of 6875W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.2 gallons, the GP5500 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.72 GPH).
As the GP5500 has a relatively high THD (<20%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
The Generac GP5500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27.5 x W27 x H25 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 170.9 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀9.5") and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
One of the many GP5500's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Generac also included some oil in the GP5500's packaging.
The Generac GP5500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP5500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP5500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As for its weight, the Generac GP5500 weighs only 170.9 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Champion 100519, with a dry weight of only 121 lbs.
- The GP5500’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.72 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen5500, with a fuel consumption of 0.44 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Generac GP5500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight for its kind (170.9 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6875 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||57.3/28.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||27.5 x 27 x 25 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP5500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.