Zoom on the Generac XG10000E
In a nutshell, the Generac XG10000E is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- Small homeowners in search of a full power backup solution
- Food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac XG10000E's engine, 530 cc Generac OHVI 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 10000W and reaches a peak wattage of 12500W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 10 gallons, the XG10000E can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1 GPH).
The quite high THD (<20%) of the XG10000E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 7 AC outlets:
This Generac generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, because the XG10000E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Generac XG10000E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30 x W29.5 x H31 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 300 lbs. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
One of the many XG10000E's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the power output (via the PowerBar™) and lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Generac XG10000E also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit and oil.
The Generac XG10000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Generac XG10000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac XG10000E compare to generators of similar power (between 9500 and 10500 W).
- A weight of 300 lbs makes the Generac XG10000E one of the heavier devices in the 9500-10500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Rainier R12000DF, standing at just 196 lbs.
- The XG10000E, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen9500, reaching around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 1 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Rainier R12000DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 9500-10500W generators, the Generac XG10000E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Decent run time
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (300 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||530 cc Generac OHVI 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||10000 W|
|Starting watts||12500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||104.2/52.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|Data center||Power output and lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||10 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 29.5 x 31 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac XG10000E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.