Zoom on the Generac GP17500E
In summary, the Generac GP17500E is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- Small homeowners in search of a full power backup solution
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP17500E is powered by a 992 cc Generac OHVI 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 17,500W as well as a peak wattage of 26,250W. The impressive running wattage makes this unit the 3rd biggest portable generator currently on the market.
This generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 16 gallons allows the GP17500E to operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.6 GPH).
Since the GP17500E has a high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 8 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Generac generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, since the GP17500E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Generac GP17500E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L48.5 x W31 x H39.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 390 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀12.3") and its handle, once it is placed on the ground.
A lift hook located on the top of the frame offers an additional safety feature while facilitating the transport, loading and unloading of the generator.
A digital data center, one of the features of the GP17500E's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Generac also included a tool kit in the GP17500E's packaging.
The Generac GP17500E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP17500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP17500E compare to generators of similar power (between 14000 and 20000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Generac GP17500E weighs just 390 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 14000 to 20000 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Generac GP15000E, weighing just 363 pounds.
- Given that the GP17500E reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen20000, boasting with around 11 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 1.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Generac GP15500EFI, with a fuel consumption of 1.29 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 14000-20000W generators, the Generac GP17500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Impressive quantity of AC outlets
- 5 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (390 lbs)
- Made in USA
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|992 cc Generac OHVI 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 10A receptacle
|Lifetime run hours
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|48.5 x 31 x 39.5 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Bonded to frame
|Tool kit, battery, and wheel kit
|Country of origin
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are engineered and built in the USA. However, their components can be a mix of domestic and foreign parts.
The Generac GP17500E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Air compressor (1 hp)
What is the noise rating of the GP17500E?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.