Zoom on the Generac GP15000E
In summary, the Generac GP15000E is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- Small homeowners in search of a full power backup solution
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP15000E's build contains a gasoline-fueled 992 cc Generac OHVI 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 15000W and also a peak wattage of 22500W.
This generator offers the possibility to start the device via a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 16 gallons allows the GP15000E to operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.6 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the GP15000E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 8 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even though this Generac generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the GP15000E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Generac GP15000E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L48.5 x W31 x H39.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 363 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀12.3") and a handle, once it is placed on the ground.
In addition, the device is equipped with a lift hook on the top of its frame, which provides extra safety during the loading, unloading and transport of the generator.
Monitoring of the GP15000E's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Generac GP15000E also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit and funnel.
The Generac GP15000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP15000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP15000E compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 17500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 363 pounds, the Generac GP15000E is one of the heavier generators producing between 10000 and 17500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, weighing just 218 pounds.
- With a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load, the GP15000E has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP12000 E, which is able to run for around 11.7 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 1.6 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.78 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 10000-17500W generators, the Generac GP15000E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- High run time
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (363 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||992 cc Generac OHVI 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||15000 W|
|Starting watts||22500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||187.5/93.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
2x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A receptacle|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||16 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||48.5 x 31 x 39.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP15000E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.