Zoom on the Ford FG6250P
In summary, the Ford FG6250P is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG6250P's core is the 420 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5250W and a peak wattage of 6250W.
At a noise rating of 78 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the FG6250P can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
This Ford generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the FG6250P bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Ford FG6250P has the following dimensions: L30 x W29.5 x H25 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 167.6 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the FG6250P's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Ford FG6250P also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil are included.
The Ford FG6250P is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Ford FG6250P versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG6250P compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- At a weight of 167.6 pounds, the Ford FG6250P places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN6000, weighing just 119 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The FG6250P, offering a run time of around 11 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.6 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Ford FG6250P is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (167.6 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5250 W|
|Starting watts||6250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 29.5 x 25 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG6250P is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4187 W||5662 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||4180 W||4600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.