Zoom on the Ford FG6250P
In a nutshell, the Ford FG6250P is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG6250P's engine, 420 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5,250W and reaches a peak wattage of 6,250W.
With a noise rating of 78 dBA (less noisy than a shower), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons allows the FG6250P to operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
This Ford generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the FG6250P is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
With its dimensions of L30 x W29.5 x H25 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Ford FG6250P offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 167.6 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the FG6250P's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Ford FG6250P also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Ford FG6250P is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Ford FG6250P versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG6250P compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- With a dry weight of 167.6 pounds, the Ford FG6250P finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 4500 and 5500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN5600, with a dry weight of only 103.6 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 78 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Offering around 11 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the FG6250P is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the NorthStar c5500, as it provides around 15.1 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.6 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the WEN GN5602X. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.35 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Ford FG6250P is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (167.6 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|420 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Lifetime run hours
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|30 x 29.5 x 25 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG6250P is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
What type of oil do I use that's best (Asked May 15, 2022)
For general, all temperature use, SAE10W-30 is recommended.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.