Zoom on the Ford FG6250P
In summary, the Ford FG6250P is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG6250P houses a 420 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5250W along with a peak wattage of 6250W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
With a full tank, the FG6250P can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Even though this Ford generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the FG6250P is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the Ford FG6250P is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L30 x W29.5 x H25 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 167.6 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the FG6250P includes , helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Ford FG6250P, the following accessories are also included: funnel, oil and tool kit.
The Ford FG6250P is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Ford FG6250P versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG6250P compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Ford FG6250P weighs just 167.6 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN 56500, weighing just 119 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Given that the FG6250P reaches an autonomy of 11 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, reaching 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.6 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5500, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.44 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Ford FG6250P is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight for its kind (167.6 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Ford FG6250P?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5250 W|
|Starting watts||6250 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||52.1/26 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 29.5 x 25 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG6250P is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.