Zoom on the Ford FG5250PBE
In a nutshell, the Ford FG5250PBE is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Ford FG5250PBE delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 4250W and a peak wattage of 5250W. When propane-powered, it has 3800 rated watts and 4750 peak watts.
Ford’s patented Switch & Go technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
With a noise rating of 76 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the FG5250PBE, along with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 9 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Ford generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the FG5250PBE is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Ford FG5250PBE is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L28 x W20 x H20 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 115 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the FG5250PBE includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Ford FG5250PBE also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, funnel, tool kit and oil.
The Ford FG5250PBE is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ford FG5250PBE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG5250PBE compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 115 lbs, the Ford FG5250PBE belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 76 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cummins Onan P4500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The FG5250PBE's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 11 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Switch & Go technology
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4250 W||3800 W|
|Starting watts||5250 W||4750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||35.4/17.7 amps||31.7/15.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps||39.6/19.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||9 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 20 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG5250PBE is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3387 W||4862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||3380 W||3800 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2530 W||5230 W|
Does this generator include any cables? (Asked January 30, 200)
This unit doesn't come with any cables. It comes with oil, funnel, propane hose + regulator, and a tool kit to install the handle, wheels, etc.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.