Zoom on the Ford FG5250PBE
In summary, the Ford FG5250PBE is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Ford FG5250PBE allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 4250W and a starting wattage of 5250W. If propane-powered, it gives 3800 rated watts and 4750 starting watts.
Ford’s patented Switch & Go technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 76 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
The running time of the FG5250PBE, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 11 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH). Unfortunately, and despite our research efforts, we couldn't find any information regarding its runtime when using propane. Don't hesitate to let us know if you know it.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Ford generator is RV Ready. In addition, since the FG5250PBE bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28 x W20 x H20 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Ford FG5250PBE offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 115 lbs. Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
Monitoring of the FG5250PBE's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Ford FG5250PBE also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, funnel, tool kit and oil.
The Ford FG5250PBE is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Ford FG5250PBE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG5250PBE compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 115 pounds, the Ford FG5250PBE places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 76 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the FG5250PBE, with an autonomy of around 11 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, with around 16 hours .
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Ford FG5250PBE is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Switch & Go technology
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4250 W||3800 W|
|Starting watts||5250 W||4750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||35.4/17.7 amps||31.7/15.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps||39.6/19.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 20 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG5250PBE is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.