Zoom on the Ford FG5250PBE
In summary, the Ford FG5250PBE is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Ford FG5250PBE provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 4250W along with a peak wattage of 5250W. While propane-powered, it provides 3800 rated watts and 4750 starting watts.
Ford’s patented Switch & Go technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 76 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher).
The running time of the FG5250PBE, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 11 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH). Unfortunately, and despite our research efforts, we couldn't find any information regarding its runtime when using propane. Don't hesitate to let us know if you know it.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Ford generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the FG5250PBE is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Ford FG5250PBE, which are L28 x W20 x H20 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 115 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The FG5250PBE's control center features to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Ford FG5250PBE, the following accessories are also included: oil, tool kit, propane hose and funnel.
The Ford FG5250PBE is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Ford FG5250PBE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG5250PBE compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 115 lbs, the Ford FG5250PBE belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Energizer eZV4500, with a dry weight of just 78 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 76 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the FG5250PBE, reaching 11 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, reaching 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Ford FG5250PBE is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Switch & Go technology
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the Ford FG5250PBE?
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4250 W||3800 W|
|Starting watts||5250 W||4750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||35.4/17.7 amps||31.7/15.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps||39.6/19.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 20 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG5250PBE is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.