-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 4
Zoom on the Ford FG4050P
In summary, the Ford FG4050P is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG4050P's engine, 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 4,050W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 76 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the FG4050P can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the FG4050P is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Ford FG4050P has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28 x W26 x H22 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 108.7 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A digital data center, one of the features of the FG4050P's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual to get you promptly started, the Ford FG4050P also comes with some accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit are included.
The Ford FG4050P is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Ford FG4050P versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG4050P compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its dry weight is 108.7 pounds, the Ford FG4050P is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 2500 to 3500 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 76 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Given that the FG4050P reaches an autonomy of around 11 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.36 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.22 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (108.7 lbs)
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,000 W|
|Starting watts||4,050 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 26 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
We currently do not have any warranty information regarding the Ford FG4050P.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
How much oil does it hold? (Asked October 24, 2020)
Engine oil capacity is 20 oz.
Can we have oil number (Asked July 15, 2021)
For general, all temperature use, SAE 10W30 is recommended.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.