Zoom on the Ford FG4050P
In a nutshell, the Ford FG4050P is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG4050P's core is the 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3000W and a peak wattage of 4050W.
At a noise rating of 76 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the FG4050P to operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the FG4050P is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28 x W26 x H22 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Ford FG4050P offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 108.7 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
Monitoring of the FG4050P's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Ford FG4050P also comes with several accessories, including: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Ford FG4050P is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Ford FG4050P versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG4050P compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its dry weight is 108.7 pounds, the Ford FG4050P is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 2500 to 3500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM3300i, standing at just 47.4 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 76 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- Offering around 11 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the FG4050P is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Genmax GM3300i. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.22 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (108.7 lbs)
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,000 W|
|Starting watts||4,050 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 26 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
We currently do not have any warranty information regarding the Ford FG4050P.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
How much oil does it hold? (Asked October 24, 2020)
Engine oil capacity is 20 oz.
Can we have oil number (Asked July 15, 2021)
For general, all temperature use, SAE 10W30 is recommended.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.