Zoom on the Ford FG4050P
In summary, the Ford FG4050P is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG4050P's design includes a gasoline-fueled 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3000W and also a peak wattage of 4050W.
With a noise rating of 76 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The FG4050P can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the FG4050P is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28 x W26 x H22 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Ford FG4050P offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 108.7 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the FG4050P includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual, which lets you start it right away, the Ford FG4050P also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, tool kit and oil.
The Ford FG4050P is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Ford FG4050P versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG4050P compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 108.7 lbs, the Ford FG4050P belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 76 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- The FG4050P, offering a run time of around 11 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (108.7 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||4050 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 26 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
We currently do not have any warranty information regarding the Ford FG4050P.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.