Zoom on the Ford FG4050P
In summary, the Ford FG4050P is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG4050P's engine, 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 4,050W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 76 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher).
The FG4050P can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
As the FG4050P holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28 x W26 x H22 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Ford FG4050P offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 108.7 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
One of the many FG4050P's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual to get you promptly started, the Ford FG4050P also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil are included.
The Ford FG4050P is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Ford FG4050P versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG4050P compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its dry weight is 108.7 pounds, the Ford FG4050P is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 2500 to 3500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 76 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- Given that the FG4050P reaches an autonomy of around 11 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.36 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.22 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (108.7 lbs)
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Lifetime run hours
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|28 x 26 x 22 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
We currently do not have any warranty information regarding the Ford FG4050P.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Electric fence (25 miles)
How much oil does it hold? (Asked October 24, 2020)
Engine oil capacity is 20 oz.
Can we have oil number (Asked July 15, 2021)
For general, all temperature use, SAE 10W30 is recommended.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.