Zoom on the Ford FG4050P
In a nutshell, the Ford FG4050P is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG4050P's core is the 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3000W and a peak wattage of 4050W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 76 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the FG4050P can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
The Ford FG4050P has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28 x W26 x H22 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 108.7 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Monitoring of the FG4050P's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Ford FG4050P's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel.
The Ford FG4050P is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Ford FG4050P versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG4050P compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 108.7 lbs, the Ford FG4050P belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 76 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- The FG4050P, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 11 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.36 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (108.7 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||4050 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 26 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
We currently do not have any warranty information regarding the Ford FG4050P.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.