Zoom on the Ford FG3050P
In summary, the Ford FG3050P is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG3050P's engine, 180 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2500W and reaches a peak wattage of 3050W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The FG3050P can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
With its dimensions of L23.3 x W17.2 x H18.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Ford FG3050P offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The FG3050P can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 92 lbs. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The control panel of the FG3050P includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Ford FG3050P, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, oil and funnel.
The Ford FG3050P is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Ford FG3050P versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG3050P compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- As its weight is 92 pounds, the Ford FG3050P falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 2000-3000 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Westinghouse iGen2600, standing at just 48 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 68 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- Given that the FG3050P reaches an autonomy of around 11 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching around 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.36 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2600, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Ford FG3050P is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (92 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||180 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||3050 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||25.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
2x 5V USB port
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 17.2 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG3050P is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1992 W||2992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1980 W||2430 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1900 W||3000 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.