Zoom on the Ford FG3050P
In summary, the Ford FG3050P is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG3050P's engine, 180 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 3,050W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the FG3050P can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
With its dimensions of L23.3 x W17.2 x H18.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Ford FG3050P offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The FG3050P's dry weight of 92 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
A digital data center, one of the features of the FG3050P's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Ford FG3050P, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Ford FG3050P is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Ford FG3050P versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG3050P compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 92 lbs, the Ford FG3050P belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 2000 to 3000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN 56360i with only 46.3 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 68 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 11 hours at 50% load, the FG3050P benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar PG3250, with around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.36 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Cummins Onan P2500i, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Ford FG3050P is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (92 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||180 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2,500 W|
|Starting watts||3,050 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peak amps||25.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
2x 5V USB port
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 17.2 x 18.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG3050P is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1992 W||2992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1980 W||2430 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1900 W||3000 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.