Zoom on the Ford FG2500iSCO
In a nutshell, the Ford FG2500iSCO is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG2500iSCO's core is the 98 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2,200W and a peak wattage of 2,500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the FG2500iSCO can operate for around 6 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1 gallon.
The FG2500iSCO produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
As the Ford FG2500iSCO is an inverter generator, its encased design (L21.1 x W11.2 x H17.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The FG2500iSCO is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 48.7 lbs. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
A digital data center, one of the features of the FG2500iSCO's control panel, gives you information on the fuel level, voltage, lifetime run hours, power output, remaining run time and frequency, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from Ford's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Ford FG2500iSCO also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual, allowing you to start it right away.
The Ford FG2500iSCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Ford FG2500iSCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG2500iSCO compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 48.7 pounds, the Ford FG2500iSCO places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of only 34.2 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 64 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the FG2500iSCO, reaching around 6 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen2200, with around 10 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2200, with a fuel consumption of 0.11 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Ford FG2500iSCO is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sentry technology
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (48.7 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||98 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||2,200 W|
|Starting watts||2,500 W|
|Running amps||18.3 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, remaining run time, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21.1 x 11.2 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG2500iSCO is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1482 W||2482 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1750 W||2170 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1590 W||1590 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.