Zoom on the Ford FG2300iS
In summary, the Ford FG2300iS is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG2300iS's core is the 80 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2000W and a peak wattage of 2300W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 59 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb).
The fuel capacity of 1.18 gallon allows the FG2300iS to operate for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH).
As the FG2300iS produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and a 5V USB port (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the Ford FG2300iS is an inverter generator, its closed design (L19.7 x W11.2 x H17.9 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the FG2300iS weighs just 46.3 lbs. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
The device’s light indicators will display if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Ford FG2300iS, the following accessories are also included: funnel and tool kit.
The Ford FG2300iS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Ford FG2300iS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG2300iS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Ford FG2300iS only weighs in at 46.3 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM2000i, standing at just 34.2 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 59 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 6 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the FG2300iS falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG3250, reaching around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.11 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Ford FG2300iS is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (46.3 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (59 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2000 W|
|Starting watts||2300 W|
|Running amps||16.7 amps|
|Peak amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port (USB-A)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.18 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.7 x 11.2 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG2300iS is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1595 W||1675 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1590 W||2180 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1590 W||1590 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.