Zoom on the Ford FG2300iS
In a nutshell, the Ford FG2300iS is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Ford FG2300iS's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 2000W and also a peak wattage of 2300W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 59 dBA (less noisy than rainfall).
With a fuel capacity of 1.18 gallon, the FG2300iS may run for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH).
The FG2300iS produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and a 5V USB port (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
As the Ford FG2300iS is an inverter generator, its encased design (L19.7 x W11.2 x H17.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the FG2300iS weighs just 46.3 lbs. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
When its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Ford FG2300iS also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit and funnel.
The Ford FG2300iS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Ford FG2300iS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG2300iS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Ford FG2300iS has only 46.3 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 200949, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 59 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 6 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the FG2300iS is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with around 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.11 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Ford FG2300iS is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (46.3 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (59 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2000 W|
|Starting watts||2300 W|
|Running amps||16.7 amps|
|Peak amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port (USB-A)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.18 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.7 x 11.2 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG2300iS is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1287 W||2287 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1580 W||2000 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1590 W||1590 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.