Zoom on the Ford FG11050PBE
In summary, the Ford FG11050PBE is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Ford FG11050PBE delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 9000W and a peak wattage of 11050W. When propane-powered, it has 8550 rated watts and 10500 peak watts.
Ford’s patented Switch & Go technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
With a noise rating of 78 dBA (less noisy than a shower), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the FG11050PBE, with a 6.6 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 9.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 8 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH).
As the FG11050PBE produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
This Ford generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
The design of the Ford FG11050PBE is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L30 x W29.3 x H25 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 211 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the FG11050PBE includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Ford FG11050PBE's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel, propane hose and tool kit.
The Ford FG11050PBE is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Ford FG11050PBE versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Ford FG11050PBE compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- As for its weight, the Ford FG11050PBE weighs only 211 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 8500-9500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Rainier R12000DF, standing at just 196 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA12000ED with only 69 dBA.
- Given that the FG11050PBE reaches an autonomy of around 9.5 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG12000B, reaching around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.69 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Rainier R12000DF, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the Ford FG11050PBE is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Switch & Go technology
- Clean sine wave
- Lightweight for its kind (211 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9000 W||8550 W|
|Starting watts||11050 W||10500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||92.1/46 amps||87.5/43.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.5 h||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 29.3 x 25 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Even though Ford is most commonly known for Henry Ford's Ford Motor Company, the historically renowned US-based car manufacturer founded in 1903, its trademark appears on various other products, including power equipment. Ford Power Equipment sells affordable portable generators, water pumps and pressure washers. While generators are licensed under the Ford trademark, they are in fact manufactured and distributed by Pulsar Inc., which manufactures its products in Asia. However, the company promises great customer service, pre-delivery testing, and their products receive overall very good reviews.
The Ford FG11050PBE is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Ford generators, please contact the Ford Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||7195 W||8695 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||7190 W||7780 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6390 W||10890 W|
How many hours can engine run before needing maintenance? (Asked May 21, 2020)
Engine oil should be changed every 25 hours, or once a year. The air filter, spark plug and fuel valve should be inspected/serviced/replaced every 100 hours, or once a year.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.