ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 207
Gas + Manual start
Dual fuel + Electric start
Zoom on the Firman WH02942
In a nutshell, the Firman WH02942 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Firman WH02942 allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 2,900W and a starting wattage of 3,200W. If propane-powered, it gives 2,600 rated watts and 2,900 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (Firman parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than rainfall).
The running time of the WH02942, with its 1.8 gallon fuel capacity, can reach up to 10 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 19 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.25 GPH).
The WH02942 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Firman generator is RV Ready.
Since the Firman WH02942 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L23.2 x W17.8 x H17.9 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The 90 lbs of the WH02942's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its folding handle will allow you to shift it without effort.
To help you monitor the WH02942's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Firman WH02942's package also includes these accessories: oil, battery charger, tool kit, propane hose and funnel.
The Firman WH02942 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Firman WH02942 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman WH02942 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 90 lbs, the Firman WH02942 belongs in the expected weight range for inverter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, standing at just 46 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar type and power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The WH02942's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only up to 10 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200954, with up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Firman WH02942 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (90 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||171 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2,900 W||2,600 W|
|Starting watts||3,200 W||2,900 W|
|Running amps||24.2 amps||21.7 amps|
|Peak amps||26.7 amps||24.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10 h||19 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A receptacle
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.8 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery charger, propane hose, and battery|
|Country of origin||China|
|Other model numbers||WH3200iE|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman WH02942 is covered under a lifetime warranty. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2192 W||3192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2315 W||2905 W|
|Total||2080 W||3180 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
Does the noise/sound level vary much when using propane instead of gasoline? We use propane. I’m reworking my sound box, and considering how much effort to put into improving the sound box.
We purchased online through Costco and had it delivered last year. I thought I would need two units joined together so I ordered two. One had a broken case. Turned out only one was sufficient for our GD 23BHE trailer. Costco and Firman were great about picking up the broken unit. Of course a broken unit should never have been delivered in the first place.
Thanks for your review.
Great generator.Priced like a 2000w machine, but out put double to those smaller machines.
Firman stands behind their products.
I asked and was told that the LT warranty included, the Generator Brushes, Electric Starter motor, and Propane regulator.