Zoom on the Firman WH02942
In a nutshell, the Firman WH02942 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Firman WH02942 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 2900W and a peak wattage of 3200W. When propane-powered, it has 2600 rated watts and 2900 peak watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (Firman parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), this inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The WH02942, with a fuel capacity of 1.8 gallon, reaches a run time of up to 10 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 19 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.25 GPH) with propane.
The WH02942 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Firman generator is RV Ready.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L23.2 x W17.8 x H17.9 in), the Firman WH02942, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The WH02942's dry weight of 90 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its folding handle, once it is on the ground.
To help you monitor the WH02942's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Firman WH02942's package also includes these accessories: funnel, battery charger, propane hose, oil and tool kit.
The Firman WH02942 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Firman WH02942 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman WH02942 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its weight is 90 pounds, the Firman WH02942 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of only 59.5 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 58 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the WH02942, with an autonomy of up to 10 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV3500P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Firman WH02942 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (90 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||171 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2900 W||2600 W|
|Starting watts||3200 W||2900 W|
|Running amps||24.2 amps||21.7 amps|
|Peak amps||26.7 amps||24.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10 h||19 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A receptacle
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.8 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery charger, propane hose, and battery|
|Other model numbers||WH3200iE|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman WH02942 is covered under a lifetime warranty. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2192 W||3192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2300 W||2720 W|
|Total||2080 W||3180 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.