Zoom on the Firman WH02942
In a nutshell, the Firman WH02942 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Firman WH02942 allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 2900W and a starting wattage of 3200W. If propane-powered, it gives 2600 rated watts and 2900 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (Firman parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 58 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The WH02942, with a fuel capacity of 1.8 gallon, reaches a run time of up to 10 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 19 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.25 GPH) with propane.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the WH02942 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Firman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Since the Firman WH02942 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L23.2 x W17.8 x H17.9 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The WH02942's dry weight of 90 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its folding handle, once it is on the ground.
The WH02942 and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Firman WH02942 also comes with some accessories: funnel, tool kit, battery charger, oil and propane hose are included.
The Firman WH02942 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Firman WH02942 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman WH02942 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Firman WH02942 stands at only 90 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 2500-3500 rated wattage category If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Generac GP3300i, weighing just 59.5 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the WH02942, with an autonomy of up to 10 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, which is able to run for up to 22 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Firman WH02942 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (90 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||171 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2900 W||2600 W|
|Starting watts||3200 W||2900 W|
|Running amps||24.2 amps||21.7 amps|
|Peak amps||26.7 amps||24.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10 h||19 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A receptacle
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.8 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, battery charger, propane hose, and battery|
|Other model numbers||WH3200iE|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman WH02942 is covered under a lifetime warranty. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2192 W||3192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2315 W||2905 W|
|Total||2080 W||3180 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.