Zoom on the Firman W03081
In summary, the Firman W03081 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Firman W03081's engine, 171 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3000W and reaches a peak wattage of 3300W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (Firman parallel kit not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 59 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home).
The fuel capacity of 1.8 gallon allows the W03081 to operate for up to 9 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the W03081 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Firman generator is RV Ready.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L23.2 x W17.8 x H17.9 in), the Firman W03081, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The W03081 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 84 lbs. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀5") and a folding handle will allow you to displace it without effort.
To help you monitor the W03081's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Firman W03081's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, funnel, battery charging cables and oil.
The Firman W03081 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Firman W03081 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman W03081 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Firman W03081 weighs just 84 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 2500 to 3500 rated wattage generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 59 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The W03081’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 9 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EU3000iS, reaching up to 20 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3200P is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Firman W03081 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (84 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (59 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3300 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.8 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman W03081 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.