Zoom on the Firman W03081
In a nutshell, the Firman W03081 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Firman W03081's build contains a gasoline-fueled 171 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3000W and also a peak wattage of 3300W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Firman parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.8 gallon allows the W03081 to operate for up to 9 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the W03081 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Firman generator is RV Ready.
The Firman W03081's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L23.2 x W17.8 x H17.9 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The W03081's dry weight of 84 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, with a wheel kit (⌀5") and a folding handle, it may be displaced with ease, once placed the floor.
To help you monitor the W03081's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the Firman W03081 also comes with some accessories: tool kit, oil, funnel and battery charging cables are included.
The Firman W03081 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Firman W03081 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman W03081 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Firman W03081 has only 84 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Honda EG2800i, weighing just 66.6 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 59 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the W03081, reaching 9 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EU3000iS, reaching 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.2 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3200P is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Firman W03081 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (84 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (59 dBA)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Firman W03081?
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3300 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.8 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman W03081 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.