-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 51
Gas + Manual start
Dual fuel + Electric start
Zoom on the Firman W02981
In summary, the Firman W02981 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Firman W02981's design includes a gasoline-fueled 171 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 2,900W and also a peak wattage of 3,200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Firman parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 58 dBA (less noisy than a quiet suburb).
The fuel capacity of 1.8 gallon allows the W02981 to operate for up to 10 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The W02981 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Firman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Firman W02981 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L23.2 x W17.8 x H17.9 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
With a dry weight of 84 lbs, the W02981 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. In addition, with its set of 2 wheels (⌀5") and its folding handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed on the floor.
To help you monitor the W02981's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Firman W02981 also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables, tool kit, funnel and oil are included.
The Firman W02981 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Firman W02981 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman W02981 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a weight of 84 pounds, the Firman W02981 places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, standing at just 46 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 58 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar type and power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 10 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the W02981 falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200914, with up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Firman W02981 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (58 dBA)
- Decent weight (84 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||171 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2,900 W|
|Starting watts||3,200 W|
|Running amps||24.2 amps|
|Peak amps||26.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.2 x 17.8 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||58 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||W3200i|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman W02981 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2192 W||3192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2300 W||2720 W|
|Total||2080 W||3180 W|
How much oil does my firman w3200i take (Asked July 19, 2020)
Oil capacity is 20.3 oz.
Does this invertor have an inline gas shut off? (Asked October 03, 2021)
The unit has a fuel valve knob. Turning it off will allow you to let the generator run until it stops from lack of fuel, and to dry out all remaining fuel in the carburetor.
What kind of oil mine did not come with oil (Asked January 16, 2022)
For general, all-temperature use, SAE 10W30 is recommended.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.