ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 10
Zoom on the Firman W01781
In a nutshell, the Firman W01781 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Firman W01781's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1,700W and also a peak wattage of 2,100W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (Firman parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
With a noise rating of 54 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 0.9 gallon allows the W01781 to operate for up to 9 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the W01781 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The Firman W01781's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L20 x W12.1 x H16.7 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The W01781 is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 45.9 lbs. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
When the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Firman W01781 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables and oil.
The Firman W01781 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Firman W01781 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman W01781 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 45.9 pounds, the Firman W01781 falls in the expected weight range of the inverters in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM2000i with only 34.2 pounds.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its type and power category, as it is rated at 54 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the W01781, reaching up to 9 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP2300iH, with up to 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the DuroMax XP2300iH is a device you could look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Firman W01781 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (45.9 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (54 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,700 W|
|Starting watts||2,100 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peak amps||17.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.25 h|
|Run time @25% load||9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 0.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20 x 12.1 x 16.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||54 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Country of origin||China|
|Other model numbers||W2100i|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman W01781 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1092 W||2092 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1340 W||1930 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
not too heavy at approx 48 lb.
quiet – sitting just outside the mobile home and we can’t hear it inside.
ran all night on a tank of fuel which is .9 gal.
In order to check the oil; the front panel must be removed. There are several tiny screws to undo and possibly in the dark. Very terrible design feature. Other than that I would recommend this generator. (I’m going to cut an access hole!)