Zoom on the Firman W01781
In a nutshell, the Firman W01781 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Firman W01781's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1700W and also a peak wattage of 2100W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (Firman parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 54 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the W01781 can operate for up to 9 hours (fuel consumption around 0.1 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 0.9 gallon.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the W01781 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The Firman W01781 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L20 x W12.1 x H16.7 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The W01781 is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 45.9 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Firman W01781, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, battery charging cables, oil and funnel.
The Firman W01781 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Firman W01781 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman W01781 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Firman W01781 only weighs in at 45.9 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 200949, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 54 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 9 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the W01781 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Firman W01781 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (45.9 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (54 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2100 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||17.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.25 h|
|Run time @25% load||9 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 5A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 0.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20 x 12.1 x 16.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||54 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman W01781 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1092 W||2092 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1355 W||1355 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.