Zoom on the Firman P08004
In a nutshell, the Firman P08004 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P08004's design includes a gasoline-fueled 439 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 8000W and also a peak wattage of 10000W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the P08004 can be remotely started (key fob included).
The fuel capacity of 8 gallons allows the P08004 to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the P08004 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<25%).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
This Firman generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the P08004 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Firman P08004 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L28.4 x W27.9 x H26.8 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 210.3 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the P08004's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Firman P08004's package also includes these accessories: funnel, tool kit, oil and key fob.
The Firman P08004 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Firman P08004 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P08004 compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 210.3 lbs, the Firman P08004 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7500 and 8500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000 with only 183 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Predator 9500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 67 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the P08004 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, which is able to run for around 12.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WPro8500, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Firman P08004 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Remote start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (210.3 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||439 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.4 x 27.9 x 26.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P08004 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6387 W||7862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6395 W||6985 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Can this model be converted to propane? Is there a conversion kit? (Asked September 04, 2019)
To our knowledge, there is no official Firman propane conversion kit. You may want to have a look at the H08051, which is already dual fuel and has the same power output. It doesn't have the remote start, though.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.