50 states + GFCI outlets
Zoom on the Firman P08004
In summary, the Firman P08004 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P08004's design includes a gasoline-fueled 439 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 8,000W and also a peak wattage of 10,000W.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the P08004 can also be remotely started (key fob included).
The P08004 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 8 gallons.
As the P08004 has a high THD (<25%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Firman unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. Its L5-30R receptacle can also be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the P08004 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Firman P08004 has the following dimensions: L28.4 x W27.9 x H26.8 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 210.3 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The P08004's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Firman P08004, the following accessories are also included: key fob, oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Firman P08004 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Firman P08004 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P08004 compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- As its weight is 210.3 pounds, the Firman P08004 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 7500-8500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Westinghouse ecoGen10000, with a dry weight of just 147.7 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Pulsar PGD95BiSCO, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 62 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the P08004 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Champion 100416, boasting with around 12.5 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PG10000B16, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Remote start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (210.3 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||439 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8,000 W|
|Starting watts||10,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.4 x 27.9 x 26.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P08004 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6387 W||7862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6395 W||6985 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Can this model be converted to propane? Is there a conversion kit? (Asked September 04, 2019)
To our knowledge, there is no official Firman propane conversion kit. You may want to have a look at the H08051, which is already dual fuel and has the same power output. It doesn't have the remote start, though.
Can I turn it off with just the remote for overnight? (Asked September 24, 2022)
The remote can be used for both remote start and remote stop.
Will it protect all electronics (Asked March 21, 2023)
The unit is not suitable for powering equipment that contains sensitive electronic components.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.