50 states + GFCI outlets
Zoom on the Firman P08004
In a nutshell, the Firman P08004 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P08004 houses a 439 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 8,000W along with a peak wattage of 10,000W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the P08004 can be remotely started (key fob included).
The fuel capacity of 8 gallons allows the P08004 to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH).
Since the P08004 has a somewhat high THD (<25%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
If you own an RV with a 50-amp service, you can consider this Firman unit as RV-ready, as it features a 14-50R outlet. Its L5-30R receptacle can also be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. In addition, because the P08004 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Firman P08004 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28.4 x W27.9 x H26.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 210.3 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the P08004 includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Firman P08004, the following accessories are also included: key fob, tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Firman P08004 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Firman P08004 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P08004 compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- With a dry weight of 210.3 pounds, the Firman P08004 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 7500 and 8500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000 with only 183 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Genmax GM9000iED. With just 62 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Since the P08004 boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, as it provides around 12.5 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Remote start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (210.3 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||439 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8,000 W|
|Starting watts||10,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.4 x 27.9 x 26.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P08004 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6387 W||7862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6395 W||6985 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Can this model be converted to propane? Is there a conversion kit? (Asked September 04, 2019)
To our knowledge, there is no official Firman propane conversion kit. You may want to have a look at the H08051, which is already dual fuel and has the same power output. It doesn't have the remote start, though.
Can I turn it off with just the remote for overnight? (Asked September 24, 2022)
The remote can be used for both remote start and remote stop.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.