Zoom on the Firman P06701
In summary, the Firman P06701 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
Power & Run Time
The Firman P06701 is powered by a 389 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 6,700W as well as a peak wattage of 8,350W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 8 gallons allows the P06701 to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH).
The P06701 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<25%).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Even though this Firman generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the P06701 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the Firman P06701 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L28.4 x W27.5 x H26.8 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 178 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The P06701's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Firman P06701 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, cover, tool kit and oil.
The Firman P06701 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Firman P06701 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P06701 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- At a weight of 178 pounds, the Firman P06701 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Powerhorse 7500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 55 dBA.
- The P06701 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 12 hours at 50% load. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 9000, boasting with around 13 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.45 GPH, the Energizer eZV7500 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the Firman P06701 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- High run time
- Decent weight (178 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6,700 W|
|Starting watts||8,350 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||55.8/27.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||69.6/34.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.4 x 27.5 x 26.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, cover, and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P06701 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5347 W||6822 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5330 W||5780 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||3730 W||8230 W|
Does it have fuel shutoff valve (Asked June 08, 2021)
The unit features a fuel shut-off valve above the engine.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.