Zoom on the Firman P05706
In a nutshell, the Firman P05706 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Firman P05706's core is the 389 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5700W and a peak wattage of 7125W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the P05706 can operate for around 13 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.62 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 8 gallons.
Since the P05706 has a somewhat high THD (<25%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
This Firman generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the P05706 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Firman P05706 has the following dimensions: L28.4 x W27.5 x H26.8 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 178 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the P05706 includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Firman P05706 also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil are included.
The Firman P05706 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Firman P05706 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P05706 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 178 lbs, the Firman P05706 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 5500 and 6500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar G65BN, standing at just 126 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 13 hours at 50% load, the P05706 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.62 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.36 GPH, the A-iPower SUA7000L is a device you could look out for.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (178 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5700 W|
|Starting watts||7125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||47.5/23.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||59.4/29.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.4 x 27.5 x 26.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P05706 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4555 W||5255 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4545 W||5135 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4400 W||7100 W|
I have this generator and my house has a generlink transfer switch. Is there an easy way to unbond the neutral as the codes require in my area. Thanks (Asked August 29, 2021)
We recommend reading our article on neutral conversion.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.