Zoom on the Firman P05706
In summary, the Firman P05706 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P05706's design includes a gasoline-fueled 389 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5700W and also a peak wattage of 7125W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the P05706 can operate for around 13 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.62 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the P05706 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<25%).
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
This Firman generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, as the P05706 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28.4 x W27.5 x H26.8 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Firman P05706 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 178 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The P05706 and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Firman P05706 also comes with some accessories: funnel, oil and tool kit are included.
The Firman P05706 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Firman P05706 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P05706 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- At a weight of 178 pounds, the Firman P05706 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 5500-6500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar G65BN with only 126 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- The P05706 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 13 hours at 50% load. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.62 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA7000L, with a fuel consumption of 0.36 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (178 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5700 W|
|Starting watts||7125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||47.5/23.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||59.4/29.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.4 x 27.5 x 26.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P05706 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4555 W||5255 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4545 W||5135 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4400 W||7100 W|
I have this generator and my house has a generlink transfer switch. Is there an easy way to unbond the neutral as the codes require in my area. Thanks (Asked August 29, 2021)
We recommend reading our article on neutral conversion.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.