Zoom on the Firman P05706
In summary, the Firman P05706 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P05706's core is the 389 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5700W and a peak wattage of 7125W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the P05706 may run for around 13 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.62 GPH).
The quite high THD (<25%) of the P05706 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
This Firman generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the P05706 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Firman P05706 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28.4 x W27.5 x H26.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 178 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The P05706's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Firman P05706's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Firman P05706 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Firman P05706 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P05706 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- With a dry weight of 178 pounds, the Firman P05706 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 5500 and 6500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar G65BN, weighing just 126 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Since the P05706 boasts with a run time of around 13 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.62 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (178 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5700 W|
|Starting watts||7125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||47.5/23.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||59.4/29.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.4 x 27.5 x 26.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P05706 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4555 W||6055 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4545 W||5135 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4400 W||7100 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.