Zoom on the Firman P05706
In summary, the Firman P05706 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P05706 is powered by a 389 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5,700W as well as a peak wattage of 7,125W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the P05706 can operate for around 13 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.62 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the P05706 is not recommended due to its high THD (<25%).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
While this Firman generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the P05706 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Firman P05706 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28.4 x W27.5 x H26.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 178 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the P05706's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Firman P05706 also comes with some accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit are included.
The Firman P05706 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Firman P05706 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P05706 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 178 lbs, the Firman P05706 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 5500 to 6500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGDA70BiSCO with only 118 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As the P05706 features an autonomy of around 13 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 6500, reaching around 14.5 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.62 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA7000L. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.36 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (178 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5,700 W|
|Starting watts||7,125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||47.5/23.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||59.4/29.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||13 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.4 x 27.5 x 26.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P05706 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4542 W||6017 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4540 W||5130 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4400 W||7100 W|
I have this generator and my house has a generlink transfer switch. Is there an easy way to unbond the neutral as the codes require in my area. Thanks (Asked August 29, 2021)
We recommend reading our article on neutral conversion.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.