Zoom on the Firman P03608
In summary, the Firman P03608 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P03608's engine, 208 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3650W and reaches a peak wattage of 4550W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The P03608 can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The fuel capacity of 5 gallons allows the P03608 to operate for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The quite high THD (<25%) of the P03608 makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Firman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Firman P03608 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L24.8 x W21.7 x H21.7 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 119.5 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The P03608's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Firman P03608 also comes with some accessories: funnel, key fob, tool kit and oil are included.
The Firman P03608 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Firman P03608 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P03608 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 119.5 pounds, the Firman P03608 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 67 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of around 14 hours at 50% load, the P03608 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Firman P03608 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- High run time
- Decent weight (119.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (67 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
The Firman P03608 doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3650 W|
|Starting watts||4550 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 21.7 x 21.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P03608 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2912 W||3912 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2895 W||3485 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1800 W||4500 W|
Duplex 120v/20a outlets - does that mean 20a total from both or total 40a possible? (Asked September 25, 2020)
20A total from the duplex outlets
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.