Zoom on the Firman P03608
In a nutshell, the Firman P03608 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P03608's core is the 208 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,650W and a peak wattage of 4,550W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 67 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the P03608 can be remotely started (key fob included).
With a full tank, the P03608 can operate for around 14 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 5 gallons.
The P03608 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its high THD (<25%).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
This Firman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The design of the Firman P03608 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24.8 x W21.7 x H21.7 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 119.5 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The P03608's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Firman P03608 also comes with several accessories, including: oil, funnel, tool kit and key fob.
The Firman P03608 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Firman P03608 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P03608 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 119.5 pounds, the Firman P03608 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 67 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- As the P03608 features an autonomy of around 14 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, with a fuel consumption of 0.23 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Firman P03608 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- High run time
- Decent weight (119.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (67 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
The Firman P03608 doesn't have any notably low specs.
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,650 W|
|Starting watts||4,550 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peak amps||37.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 21.7 x 21.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery, and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P03608 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2892 W||3892 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2890 W||3480 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1800 W||4500 W|
Duplex 120v/20a outlets - does that mean 20a total from both or total 40a possible? (Asked September 25, 2020)
20A total from the duplex outlets
Wath is the oil capacity of a firman 3650 (Asked September 18, 2021)
Engine oil capacity is 20.3 fl.oz.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.