Zoom on the Firman P03501
In a nutshell, the Firman P03501 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Firman P03501 houses a 208 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3,550W along with a peak wattage of 4,450W.
At a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 5 gallons, the P03501 may run for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
Since the P03501 has a high THD (<25%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Firman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
With its dimensions of L24.8 x W21.7 x H21.7 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Firman P03501 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 108.5 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the P03501's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Firman P03501, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, oil, funnel and cover.
The Firman P03501 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Firman P03501 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P03501 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 108.5 lbs, the Firman P03501 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 67 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The P03501 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 14 hours at 50% load. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Standing at an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.23 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Firman P03501 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Decent weight (108.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (67 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,550 W|
|Starting watts||4,450 W|
|Running amps||29.6 amps|
|Peak amps||37.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 21.7 x 21.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, cover, and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P03501 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2802 W||3802 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2815 W||3405 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What type motor oil does it take. Firman 208cc.? (Asked February 19, 2021)
SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general, all-temperature use. You may also want to refer to the chart page 12 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
firman 3501 valve lash specs? (Asked August 17, 2021)
Intake/Exhaust: 0.004 - 0.006 in.
What do the symbols mean on the multimeter?.. there's 4 different areas.. (Asked September 15, 2021)
The multimeter and its symbols are explained page 10 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
If I live in yarker, Ontario canada and have problem in the first year what do I do for the warranty, and where ? (Asked November 22, 2022)
Firman has several service centers in Ontario. You may contact their customer support to get the list.: 1-844-347-6261.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.