Zoom on the Firman P03501
In summary, the Firman P03501 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P03501 is powered by a 208 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3550W as well as a peak wattage of 4450W.
At a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 5 gallons, the P03501 may run for around 14 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The P03501 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<25%).
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
This Firman generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Firman P03501 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L24.8 x W21.7 x H21.7 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 108.5 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the P03501's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Firman P03501, the following accessories are also included: cover, oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Firman P03501 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Firman P03501 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P03501 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 108.5 lbs, the Firman P03501 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 67 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cummins Onan P4500i. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 14 hours at 50% load, the P03501 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.36 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Cummins Onan P4500i, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.23 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Firman P03501 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Decent weight (108.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (67 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3550 W|
|Starting watts||4450 W|
|Running amps||29.6 amps|
|Peak amps||37.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 21.7 x 21.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, cover, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P03501 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2822 W||4322 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2835 W||3425 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What type motor oil does it take. Firman 208cc.? (Asked February 19, 2021)
SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general, all-temperature use. You may also want to refer to the chart page 12 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
firman 3501 valve lash specs? (Asked August 17, 2021)
Intake/Exhaust: 0.004 - 0.006 in.
What do the symbols mean on the multimeter?.. there's 4 different areas.. (Asked September 15, 2021)
The multimeter and its symbols are explained page 10 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.