No DC output
Zoom on the Firman P01202
In a nutshell, the Firman P01202 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P01202's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1,200W and also a peak wattage of 1,500W.
With a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the P01202 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.7 gallon.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the P01202 is not recommended due to its high THD (<25%).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The design of the Firman P01202 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L17.5 x W14.2 x H15 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
With a dry weight of 55 lbs, the P01202 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Firman P01202's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The Firman P01202 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Firman P01202 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P01202 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 55 lbs, the Firman P01202 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1000 to 2000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PGD16iSCO, weighing just 24 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 64 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Since the P01202 boasts with a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2200, reaching around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PGD16iSCO, with a fuel consumption of 0.09 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Firman P01202 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (55 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Steel, 1.7 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|17.5 x 14.2 x 15 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables
|Country of origin
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P01202 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.