No DC output
Zoom on the Firman P01201
In a nutshell, the Firman P01201 is a lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P01201 houses a 80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1,200W along with a peak wattage of 1,500W.
At a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The P01201 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.7 gallon.
Since the P01201 has a high THD (<25%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
With its dimensions of L17.5 x W14.2 x H155 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Firman P01201 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The P01201's dry weight of 55 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Firman P01201 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Firman P01201 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Firman P01201 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P01201 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 55 lbs, the Firman P01201 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1000 to 2000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD16iSCO with only 24 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 64 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Since the P01201 boasts with a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2200, reaching around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.09 GPH, the Pulsar PGD16iSCO is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Firman P01201 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (55 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1,200 W|
|Starting watts||1,500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peak amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||17.5 x 14.2 x 155 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P01201 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||930 W||1350 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.