Zoom on the Firman P01001
In summary, the Firman P01001 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Firman P01001's core is the 80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1050W and a peak wattage of 1300W.
With a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.3 gallon allows the P01001 to operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.14 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the P01001 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<25%).
The control panel includes the following AC outlet:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Firman P01001 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L16.2 x W13 x H15 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the P01001 weighs only 45.3 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go.
The P01001's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Firman P01001 also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Firman P01001 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Firman P01001 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P01001 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- With a dry weight of 45.3 pounds, the Firman P01001 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 500 and 1500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 63 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU1000i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 42 dBA.
- Since the P01001 boasts with a run time of around 9 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2000, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.14 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Ryobi RYi1000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Firman P01001 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (45.3 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1050 W|
|Starting watts||1300 W|
|Running amps||8.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||10.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16.2 x 13 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P01001 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||292 W||1292 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||830 W||1250 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.