Zoom on the Firman P01001
In a nutshell, the Firman P01001 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Firman P01001's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1050W and also a peak wattage of 1300W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.3 gallon, the P01001 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the P01001 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<25%).
The control panel provides the upcoming AC outlet:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The dimensions of the Firman P01001, which are L16.2 x W12.9 x H15 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the P01001 weighs just 46 lbs. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go.
The P01001's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Firman P01001's package also includes these accessories: funnel, battery charging cables, oil and tool kit.
The Firman P01001 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Firman P01001 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman P01001 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 46 lbs, the Firman P01001 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 1000 and 2000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM1200i, standing at just 25.3 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 62 dBA is on the noisier side. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- Since the P01001 boasts with a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG2200, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.11 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Firman P01001 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (46 lbs)
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (62 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||80 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1050 W|
|Starting watts||1300 W|
|Running amps||8.8 amps|
|Peak amps||10.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16.2 x 12.9 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman P01001 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||292 W||1292 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||830 W||1250 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.