Zoom on the Firman H08053
In a nutshell, the Firman H08053 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Firman H08053 delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 8000W and a peak wattage of 10000W. When propane-powered, it has 7250 rated watts and 9050 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the H08053, with its 8 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 12 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 5 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
Since the H08053 has a somewhat high THD (<25%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
This Firman generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the H08053 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L30.2 x W27.5 x H26.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Firman H08053 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 212 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The H08053's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Firman H08053 also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, funnel, oil and tool kit.
The Firman H08053 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Firman H08053 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman H08053 compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 212 lbs, the Firman H08053 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 7500 to 8500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, with a dry weight of only 183 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Predator 9500. With just 67 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the H08053 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Champion 100416, boasting with around 12.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WPro8500, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (212 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W||7250 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W||9050 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps||60.4/30.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps||75.4/37.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||5 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.2 x 27.5 x 26.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman H08053 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6387 W||7862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6395 W||6985 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Can this unit be used to run furnaces that are power sensitive with circuit boards? (Asked May 21, 2020)
Probably not. The unit has a THD <23%. You'd have to check with your furnace manufacturer if that power is clean enough for these furnaces.
Can the neutral be unbounded from the frame? (Asked March 18, 2021)
No reason why this would not be impossible. You may refer to our article on neutral conversion.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.