Zoom on the Firman H08051
In a nutshell, the Firman H08051 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Firman H08051 allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 8000W and a starting wattage of 10000W. If propane-powered, it gives 7250 rated watts and 9050 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the H08051, along with its 8 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 5 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
Since the H08051 has a somewhat high THD (<25%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Even though this Firman generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the H08051 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Firman H08051 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30.2 x W27.5 x H26.3 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 212 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The H08051 and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Firman H08051 also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel, oil and propane hose are included.
The Firman H08051 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Firman H08051 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman H08051 compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 212 lbs, the Firman H08051 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7500 and 8500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, weighing just 183 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Predator 9500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 67 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the H08051 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 100416, with around 12.5 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Firman H08051 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (212 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W||7250 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W||9050 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps||60.4/30.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps||75.4/37.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||5 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.2 x 27.5 x 26.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman H08051 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6387 W||7862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6395 W||6985 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
What makes this generator not RV ready? And what would have to be done to make it RV ready? (Asked December 22, 2020)
The unit does not feature a TT-30R outlet. Feel free to refer to our definition of RV-ready.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.