Zoom on the Firman H08051
In a nutshell, the Firman H08051 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Firman H08051 allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 8000W and a starting wattage of 10000W. If propane-powered, it gives 7250 rated watts and 9050 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the H08051, along with its 8 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 5 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
The H08051 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<25%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
While this Firman generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the H08051 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Firman H08051 has the following dimensions: L30.2 x W27.5 x H26.3 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 212 lbs. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the H08051 includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Firman H08051 also comes with some accessories: tool kit, oil, propane hose and funnel are included.
The Firman H08051 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Firman H08051 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Firman H08051 compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- At a weight of 212 pounds, the Firman H08051 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7500-8500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, with a dry weight of just 183 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Predator 9500. With just 67 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the H08051 features an autonomy of around 12 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, as it provides around 12.5 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WPro8500, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Firman H08051 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (212 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc Firman Max-Pro Series OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W||7250 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W||9050 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps||60.4/30.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps||75.4/37.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||5 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.2 x 27.5 x 26.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
About FIRMAN Power Equipment
Founded in 1999, Firman Power Equipment is a company with a short, but established history in the power equipment industry. Based in Arizona, the company offers an immense range of products, including power tools, automotive equipment, storage utilities, work wear, but most importantly, a wide selection of generators of all sizes, designs and outputs. Interestingly, Firman is a wholly owned subsidiary of the China National Machinery Industry Corporation - a somewhat well renowned company in China and acts as a de facto distributor of their products in the US.
The Firman H08051 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Firman generators, please consult Firman's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-FIRMAN1 (844-347-6261).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6387 W||7862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6395 W||6985 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
What makes this generator not RV ready? And what would have to be done to make it RV ready? (Asked December 22, 2020)
The unit does not feature a TT-30R outlet. Feel free to refer to our definition of RV-ready.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.