Zoom on the Energizer EG6850
In a nutshell, the Energizer EG6850 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Energizer EG6850 is powered by a 420 cc Energizer OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5500W as well as a peak wattage of 6850W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The EG6850 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.66 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 8 AC outlets:
Even if this Energizer generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, since the EG6850 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the Energizer EG6850, which are L28.9 x W26 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 168 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
One of the many EG6850's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Energizer EG6850, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, tool kit and oil.
The Energizer EG6850 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Energizer EG6850 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Energizer EG6850 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Energizer EG6850 weighs just 168 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 5000 to 6000 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Champion 100519, with a dry weight of just 121 pounds.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing 10 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the EG6850 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, with 15 hours .
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.66 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen5500. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.44 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight for its kind (168 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Energizer OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6850 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||57.1/28.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||3x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28.9 x 26 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, tool kit and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1896, Energizer Holdings, Inc. is most well known as an American battery manufacturer, namely of Energizer, Varta, Rayovac and Eveready batteries. However, throughout its history, Energizer has worked in many industries, including power generators. The Energizer Brands LLC’s, (a subsidiary of Energizer Holdings, Inc.) power generator selection includes mostly portable generators of both the conventional and inverted design. All Energizer generators are designed and supported in North America, while their production is outsourced overseas.
The Energizer EG6850 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Energizer generators, please contact the Energizer Customer Support: 1-877-528-3772.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.