Zoom on the Energizer EG4050
In summary, the Energizer EG4050 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Energizer EG4050's core is the 212 cc (7 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 3,000W and a peak wattage of 4,050W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the EG4050 to operate for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EG4050 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the Energizer EG4050 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L25 x W22.6 x H21 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 102 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
Monitoring of the EG4050's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the voltage and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Energizer EG4050 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual, helping you start the device right away.
The Energizer EG4050 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Energizer EG4050 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With a dry weight of 102 pounds, the Energizer EG4050 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- The EG4050, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10.6 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.38 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.22 GPH, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Energizer EG4050 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Decent weight (102 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|212 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|25 x 22.6 x 21 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1896, Energizer Holdings, Inc. is most well known as an American battery manufacturer, namely of Energizer, Varta, Rayovac and Eveready batteries. However, throughout its history, Energizer has worked in many industries, including power generators. The Energizer Brands LLC’s, (a subsidiary of Energizer Holdings, Inc.) power generator selection includes mostly portable generators of both the conventional and inverted design. All Energizer generators are designed and supported in North America, while their production is outsourced overseas.
The Energizer EG4050 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Energizer generators, please contact the Energizer Customer Support: 1-877-528-3772.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.