Zoom on the Energizer EG4050
In a nutshell, the Energizer EG4050 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Energizer EG4050 is powered by a 212 cc (7 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3,000W as well as a peak wattage of 4,050W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the EG4050 can operate for around 10.6 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EG4050 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Energizer EG4050 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W22.6 x H21 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 102 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
One of the many EG4050's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the voltage and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Energizer EG4050 also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual, allowing you to start it right away.
The Energizer EG4050 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Energizer EG4050 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With a dry weight of 102 pounds, the Energizer EG4050 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- The EG4050, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10.6 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.38 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.22 GPH, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Energizer EG4050 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Decent weight (102 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,000 W|
|Starting watts||4,050 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||25/12.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||33.8/16.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 22.6 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||GENEG4050DUD|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1896, Energizer Holdings, Inc. is most well known as an American battery manufacturer, namely of Energizer, Varta, Rayovac and Eveready batteries. However, throughout its history, Energizer has worked in many industries, including power generators. The Energizer Brands LLC’s, (a subsidiary of Energizer Holdings, Inc.) power generator selection includes mostly portable generators of both the conventional and inverted design. All Energizer generators are designed and supported in North America, while their production is outsourced overseas.
The Energizer EG4050 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Energizer generators, please contact the Energizer Customer Support: 1-877-528-3772.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2397 W||3397 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2390 W||2980 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.