Zoom on the ECHO EGi-4000
In a nutshell, the ECHO EGi-4000 is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EGi-4000 is powered by a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3400W as well as a peak wattage of 4000W.
This inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 3.3 gallons, the EGi-4000 may run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
As the EGi-4000 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this ECHO generator is RV Ready.
The ECHO EGi-4000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27 x W18.8 x H24 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the EGi-4000's weight is only 86 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, its wheel kit and its folding handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
One of the many EGi-4000's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the fuel level, remaining run time and power output and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The EGi-4000 also benefits from ECHO’s COntrol™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the ECHO EGi-4000's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
ECHO’s COMMAND™ app lets you pair your smartphone with your EGi-4000 inverter generator. It allows you to always know exactly what is going on and to make adjustments when needed, so that everything keeps running without unexpected power loss.
Using Bluetooth technology, the generator communicates with the COMMAND™ app (available on iOS (opens in a new tab) and Android (opens in a new tab) devices) to conveniently monitor power consumption, fuel level, remaining runtime, and even remotely shut off your generator directly from your smartphone.
The information displayed within the COMMAND™ App is identical to the information displayed on the LCD screen of the EGi-4000. Moreover, the COMMAND™ app also supports parallel operation.
The ECHO EGi-4000 is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The ECHO EGi-4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EGi-4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As for its weight, the ECHO EGi-4000 weighs only 86 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- The EGi-4000, offering a run time of around 10 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the ECHO EGi-4000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- COntrol™ technology
- RV Ready
- COMMAND™ App
- Lightweight for its kind (86 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3400 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||28.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and remaining run time|
|Fuel tank||3.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 18.8 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EGi-4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Garage door opener||720||1420|
|Total||2712 W||3712 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2710 W||3300 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.