Zoom on the ECHO EGi-4000
In a nutshell, the ECHO EGi-4000 is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EGi-4000's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3400W and reaches a peak wattage of 4000W.
This inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 3.3 gallons, the EGi-4000 may run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
The EGi-4000 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
This ECHO generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The ECHO EGi-4000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27 x W18.8 x H24 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The 86 lbs of the EGi-4000's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, its wheel kit and its folding handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the EGi-4000's control panel, gives you information on the power output, fuel level and remaining run time, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The EGi-4000 also benefits from ECHO’s COntrol™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the ECHO EGi-4000 also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
ECHO’s COMMAND™ app lets you pair your smartphone with your EGi-4000 inverter generator. It allows you to always know exactly what is going on and to make adjustments when needed, so that everything keeps running without unexpected power loss.
Using Bluetooth technology, the generator communicates with the COMMAND™ app (available on iOS (opens in a new tab) and Android (opens in a new tab) devices) to conveniently monitor power consumption, fuel level, remaining runtime, and even remotely shut off your generator directly from your smartphone.
The information displayed within the COMMAND™ App is identical to the information displayed on the LCD screen of the EGi-4000. Moreover, the COMMAND™ app also supports parallel operation.
The ECHO EGi-4000 is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The ECHO EGi-4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EGi-4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Weight-wise, the ECHO EGi-4000 has only 86 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of just 59.5 pounds.
- As the EGi-4000 offers around 10 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the ECHO EGi-4000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- COntrol™ technology
- RV Ready
- COMMAND™ App
- Lightweight for its kind (86 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3400 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||28.3 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and remaining run time|
|Fuel tank||3.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 18.8 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EGi-4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Garage door opener||720||1420|
|Total||2712 W||3712 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2710 W||3300 W|
|Total||2660 W||3760 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.