Zoom on the ECHO EGi-3600LN
In summary, the ECHO EGi-3600LN is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EGi-3600LN's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3000W and also a peak wattage of 3600W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation).
With a full tank, the EGi-3600LN can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons.
The EGi-3600LN generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
While this ECHO generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L25.3 x W18.9 x H19.6 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 107 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
On the top of the unit, a handy compartment allows for an easy and convenient onboard storage of maintenance-related tools.
To help you monitor the EGi-3600LN's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours, fuel level and power output.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, ECHO also included a tool kit in the EGi-3600LN's packaging.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EGi-3600LN compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 107 lbs, the ECHO EGi-3600LN belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 63 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the EGi-3600LN, reaching around 8.5 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000X, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the ECHO EGi-3600LN is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Onboard storage for maintenance tools
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (107 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3600 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
2x 5V USB port
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.3 x 18.9 x 19.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.