Zoom on the ECHO EGi-3600LN
In a nutshell, the ECHO EGi-3600LN is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is powered by a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3000W as well as a peak wattage of 3600W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The EGi-3600LN can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EGi-3600LN generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
While this ECHO generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L25.3 x W18.9 x H19.6 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
As the generator's weight is 107 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
On the top of the unit, a handy compartment allows for an easy and convenient onboard storage of maintenance-related tools.
One of the many EGi-3600LN's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the power output, lifetime run hours and fuel level and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is overloaded.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, ECHO also included a tool kit in the EGi-3600LN's packaging.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EGi-3600LN compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 107 lbs, the ECHO EGi-3600LN belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of just 59.5 pounds.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 63 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the EGi-3600LN, with an autonomy of around 8.5 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the ECHO EGi-3600LN is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Onboard storage for maintenance tools
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (107 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3600 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
2x 5V USB port
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.3 x 18.9 x 19.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.