Zoom on the ECHO EGi-3600LN
In a nutshell, the ECHO EGi-3600LN is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EGi-3600LN houses a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3000W along with a peak wattage of 3600W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The EGi-3600LN can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons.
As the EGi-3600LN produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Even if this ECHO generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L25.3 x W18.9 x H19.6 in), the ECHO EGi-3600LN, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Since the generator weighs 107 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 2 wheels and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
On the top of the unit, a handy compartment allows for an easy and convenient onboard storage of maintenance-related tools.
A digital data center, one of the features of the EGi-3600LN's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, fuel level and power output, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, ECHO also included a tool kit in the EGi-3600LN's packaging.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EGi-3600LN compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 107 lbs, the ECHO EGi-3600LN belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of just 59.5 pounds.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 63 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 8.5 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the EGi-3600LN is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the ECHO EGi-3600LN is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Onboard storage for maintenance tools
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (107 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3600 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
2x 5V USB port
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.3 x 18.9 x 19.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.