Zoom on the ECHO EGi-3600LN
In summary, the ECHO EGi-3600LN is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is powered by a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3000W as well as a peak wattage of 3600W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
With a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons, the EGi-3600LN can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH).
The EGi-3600LN generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
While this ECHO generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
Since the ECHO EGi-3600LN is an inverter generator, its closed design (L25.3 x W18.9 x H19.6 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 107 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 2 wheels and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
On the top of the unit, a handy compartment allows for an easy and convenient onboard storage of maintenance-related tools.
Monitoring of the EGi-3600LN's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours, power output and fuel level and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, ECHO also included a tool kit in the EGi-3600LN's packaging.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EGi-3600LN compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 107 pounds, the ECHO EGi-3600LN is one of the heavier inverter generators producing between 2500 and 3500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM3300i with only 47.4 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 63 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- Offering around 8.5 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the EGi-3600LN is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Ryobi RYi4022X, as it provides around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Genmax GM3300i, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.22 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the ECHO EGi-3600LN is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Onboard storage for maintenance tools
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (107 lbs)
- On the noisy side (63 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3600 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||30 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
2x 5V USB port
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.3 x 18.9 x 19.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EGi-3600LN is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.