Zoom on the ECHO EGi-2300
In a nutshell, the ECHO EGi-2300 is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EGi-2300 is powered by a 80 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1800W as well as a peak wattage of 2300W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 57 dBA (less noisy than rainfall). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the EGi-2300 may run for around 5.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
The EGi-2300 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L21 x W13 x H18 in), the ECHO EGi-2300, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The EGi-2300's dry weight of 55 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, with its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed on the floor.
Monitoring of the EGi-2300's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the remaining run time, power output and fuel level and is one of the features of its control panel.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The EGi-2300 also benefits from ECHO’s COntrol™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the ECHO EGi-2300, the following accessories are also included: oil, funnel and tool kit.
ECHO’s COMMAND™ app lets you pair your smartphone with your EGi-2300 inverter generator. It allows you to always know exactly what is going on and to make adjustments when needed, so that everything keeps running without unexpected power loss.
Using Bluetooth technology, the generator communicates with the COMMAND™ app (available on iOS (opens in a new tab) and Android (opens in a new tab) devices) to conveniently monitor power consumption, fuel level, remaining runtime, and even remotely shut off your generator directly from your smartphone.
The information displayed within the COMMAND™ App is identical to the information displayed on the LCD screen of the EGi-2300. Moreover, the COMMAND™ app also supports parallel operation.
The ECHO EGi-2300 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The ECHO EGi-2300 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EGi-2300 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 55 pounds, the ECHO EGi-2300 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 57 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- The EGi-2300's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 5.5 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for around 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.12 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the ECHO EGi-2300 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- COntrol™ technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- COMMAND™ App
- Decent weight (55 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (57 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2300 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level and remaining run time|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21 x 13 x 18 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EGi-2300 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1287 W||2287 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.