Zoom on the ECHO EGi-1200
In summary, the ECHO EGi-1200 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EGi-1200's design includes a gasoline-fueled 60 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1000W and also a peak wattage of 1200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The EGi-1200 can operate for around 5.2 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 0.69 gallon.
The EGi-1200 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 5A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The ECHO EGi-1200's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L16 x W11 x H16 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Since the EGi-1200 weighs only 30 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Good to know: This unit ranks 10th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
When the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the ECHO EGi-1200 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The ECHO EGi-1200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The ECHO EGi-1200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EGi-1200 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Weight-wise, the ECHO EGi-1200 has only 30 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 500 to 1500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN1000i, weighing just 20.3 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 64 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the EGi-1200, reaching around 5.2 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2000, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Ryobi RYi1000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the ECHO EGi-1200 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (30 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (64 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||60 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.2 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A receptacle |
2x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.69 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16 x 11 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EGi-1200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.