Zoom on the ECHO EGi-1200
In summary, the ECHO EGi-1200 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EGi-1200's design includes a gasoline-fueled 60 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1000W and also a peak wattage of 1200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the EGi-1200 can operate for around 5.2 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 0.69 gallon.
The EGi-1200 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 5A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
The ECHO EGi-1200's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L16 x W11 x H16 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the EGi-1200 weighs just 30 lbs. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Good to know: This unit ranks 10th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
The light indicators show you if the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the ECHO EGi-1200's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The ECHO EGi-1200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The ECHO EGi-1200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EGi-1200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the ECHO EGi-1200 stands at only 30 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lightest devices of the 1000-2000 rated wattage category
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 64 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the EGi-1200, reaching around 5.2 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides around 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Cat INV1250. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.1 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the ECHO EGi-1200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (30 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||60 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peak amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.2 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A receptacle |
2x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.69 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16 x 11 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EGi-1200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.