Zoom on the ECHO EGi-1200
In summary, the ECHO EGi-1200 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EGi-1200 is powered by a 60 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1,000W as well as a peak wattage of 1,200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 0.69 gallon, the EGi-1200 can operate for around 5.2 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The EGi-1200 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 5A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Since the ECHO EGi-1200 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L16 x W11 x H16 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the EGi-1200 weighs just 30 lbs. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
Good to know: This unit ranks 7th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the ECHO EGi-1200 also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
The ECHO EGi-1200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The ECHO EGi-1200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EGi-1200 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the ECHO EGi-1200 only weighs in at 30 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 1000-2000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM1200i, weighing just 25.3 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 64 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- The EGi-1200's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only around 5.2 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse iGen2200, boasting with around 10 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.11 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W inverter generators, the ECHO EGi-1200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (30 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||60 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,000 W|
|Starting watts||1,200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peak amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.2 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A receptacle |
2x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.69 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16 x 11 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EGi-1200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.