ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 2
Zoom on the ECHO EGi-1200
In a nutshell, the ECHO EGi-1200 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EGi-1200's engine, 60 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 1,200W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office).
The EGi-1200 can operate for around 5.2 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 0.69 gallon.
The EGi-1200 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 5A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L16 x W11 x H16 in), the ECHO EGi-1200, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The EGi-1200 is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 30 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 7th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
The light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the ECHO EGi-1200 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The ECHO EGi-1200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The ECHO EGi-1200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EGi-1200 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Weight-wise, the ECHO EGi-1200 has only 30 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter inverter generators which produce 1000 to 2000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM1200i, with a dry weight of only 25.3 lbs.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 64 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The EGi-1200's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only around 5.2 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen2200c, with around 10 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Genmax GM1200i. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.11 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W inverter generators, the ECHO EGi-1200 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (30 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||60 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,000 W|
|Starting watts||1,200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peak amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.2 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 5A receptacle |
2x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.69 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16 x 11 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EGi-1200 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
Good for keeping fridge running.
Also my deep freeze.