Zoom on the ECHO EG-3500
In summary, the ECHO EG-3500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EG-3500 houses a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 2800W along with a peak wattage of 3500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The EG-3500 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
While this ECHO generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The ECHO EG-3500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W24.5 x H21.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 110 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the ECHO EG-3500 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The ECHO EG-3500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The ECHO EG-3500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EG-3500 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 110 lbs, the ECHO EG-3500 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The EG-3500, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.4 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the ECHO EG-3500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (110 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2800 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||23.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24.5 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EG-3500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2237 W||3237 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2230 W||2650 W|
|Total||2210 W||3310 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.