-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 1
Zoom on the ECHO EG-3500
In a nutshell, the ECHO EG-3500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EG-3500 is powered by a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 2,800W as well as a peak wattage of 3,500W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher).
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the EG-3500 may run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
This ECHO generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
The dimensions of the ECHO EG-3500, which are L25 x W24.5 x H21.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 110 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the ECHO EG-3500's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The ECHO EG-3500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The ECHO EG-3500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EG-3500 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a dry weight of 110 pounds, the ECHO EG-3500 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 2500 and 3500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, standing at just 46 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA is on the noisier side. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The EG-3500, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.4 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.22 GPH, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the ECHO EG-3500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (110 lbs)
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2,800 W|
|Starting watts||3,500 W|
|Running amps||23.3 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24.5 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EG-3500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2237 W||3237 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2235 W||2825 W|
|Total||2210 W||3310 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.