Zoom on the ECHO EG-3500
In summary, the ECHO EG-3500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EG-3500's core is the 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2800W and a peak wattage of 3500W.
At a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the EG-3500 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
While this ECHO generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The ECHO EG-3500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W24.5 x H21.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 110 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the ECHO EG-3500 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The ECHO EG-3500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The ECHO EG-3500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EG-3500 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 110 lbs, the ECHO EG-3500 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Generac GP3300i, standing at just 59.5 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 72 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- As the EG-3500 offers around 10 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.4 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the ECHO EG-3500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (110 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2800 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||23.3 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24.5 x 21.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EG-3500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2237 W||3237 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2235 W||2825 W|
|Total||2210 W||3310 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.