Zoom on the ECHO EG-10000
In a nutshell, the ECHO EG-10000 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EG-10000 houses a 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 7500W along with a peak wattage of 10000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 84 dBA (just slightly more noisy than garbage disposal), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the EG-10000 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.83 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This ECHO generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, because the EG-10000 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The ECHO EG-10000 has the following dimensions: L29 x W27 x H24 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 212 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Monitoring of the EG-10000's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the ECHO EG-10000 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The ECHO EG-10000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The ECHO EG-10000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EG-10000 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- With a dry weight of 212 pounds, the ECHO EG-10000 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 7000 and 8000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, standing at just 133 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 84 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 65 dBA.
- The EG-10000’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, boasting with around 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.83 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.52 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the ECHO EG-10000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (212 lbs)
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (84 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 27 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||84 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Battery and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EG-10000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.