Zoom on the ECHO EG-10000
In summary, the ECHO EG-10000 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EG-10000's engine, 420 cc Rato OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 7,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 10,000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 84 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an alarm clock), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the EG-10000 may run for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.83 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Even if this ECHO generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, because the EG-10000 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The ECHO EG-10000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L29 x W27 x H24 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 212 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
One of the many EG-10000's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the ECHO EG-10000 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The ECHO EG-10000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The ECHO EG-10000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EG-10000 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 212 lbs, the ECHO EG-10000 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7000 and 8000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 84 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Champion 201175, whose lowest noise levels reach just 61 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 8 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the EG-10000 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 9000, with around 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.83 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the ECHO EG-10000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (212 lbs)
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (84 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|420 cc Rato OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Lifetime run hours
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|29 x 27 x 24 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Bonded to frame
|Battery and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EG-10000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Air compressor (1 hp)
How much oil do you need to fill the engine (Asked September 11, 2021)
Engine oil capacity is 1.16 qt.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.