Zoom on the ECHO EG-10000
In summary, the ECHO EG-10000 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EG-10000's core is the 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7500W and a peak wattage of 10000W.
At a noise rating of 84 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an alarm clock), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the EG-10000 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.83 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
While this ECHO generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the EG-10000 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The ECHO EG-10000 has the following dimensions: L29 x W27 x H24 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 212 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A digital data center, one of the features of the EG-10000’s control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the ECHO EG-10000 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The ECHO EG-10000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The ECHO EG-10000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EG-10000 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- At a weight of 212 pounds, the ECHO EG-10000 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7000-8000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 84 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF with only 65 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 8 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the EG-10000 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, with around 13 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.83 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.52 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the ECHO EG-10000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (212 lbs)
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (84 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 27 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||84 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EG-10000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.