-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 17
Zoom on the ECHO EG-10000
In a nutshell, the ECHO EG-10000 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EG-10000's engine, 420 cc Rato OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 7,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 10,000W.
With a noise rating of 84 dBA (just slightly more noisy than garbage disposal), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The EG-10000 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.83 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even if this ECHO generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EG-10000 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The ECHO EG-10000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L29 x W27 x H24 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 212 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the EG-10000's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the ECHO EG-10000 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The ECHO EG-10000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The ECHO EG-10000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EG-10000 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- With a dry weight of 212 pounds, the ECHO EG-10000 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 7000 and 8000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 84 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Champion 201175. With just 61 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the EG-10000, reaching around 8 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9000, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.83 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Pulsar PG10000B16 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the ECHO EG-10000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (212 lbs)
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (84 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Rato OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7,500 W|
|Starting watts||10,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 27 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||84 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Battery and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EG-10000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7092 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
How much oil do you need to fill the engine (Asked September 11, 2021)
Engine oil capacity is 1.16 qt.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.