Zoom on the ECHO EG-10000
In summary, the ECHO EG-10000 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The ECHO EG-10000 is powered by a 420 cc Rato OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7500W as well as a peak wattage of 10000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 84 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an alarm clock). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the EG-10000 can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.83 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
While this ECHO generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the EG-10000 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The ECHO EG-10000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L29 x W27 x H24 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 212 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the EG-10000 includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the ECHO EG-10000's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The ECHO EG-10000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The ECHO EG-10000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the ECHO EG-10000 compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 212 lbs, the ECHO EG-10000 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7000 and 8000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 84 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA8000iSF. With just 65 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the EG-10000, with an autonomy of around 8 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9000, as it provides around 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.83 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, with a fuel consumption of 0.52 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the ECHO EG-10000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (212 lbs)
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (84 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Rato OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 27 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||84 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Battery and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
ECHO Incorporated was founded in 1972 in Northbrook, IL as the Kioritz Corporation of America. In 1978, the name was changed to its current form. While it is the largest subsidiary of the Yamabiko Corporation of Japan, its US headquarters is located in Lake Zurich, IL, near Chicago. ECHO manufactures most of its products in the US, with parts from both domestic and foreign suppliers. Its wide range of outdoor power products includes portable generators, pressure washers, trimmers, blowers, and chainsaws. The company prides itself on a pro-environmental approach including the three segments of technology, conservation, and sustainability.
The ECHO EG-10000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of ECHO generators, please consult ECHO's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-432-ECHO (3246).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
How much oil do you need to fill the engine (Asked September 11, 2021)
Engine oil capacity is 1.16 qt.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.