Zoom on the DuroStar DS5500EH
In summary, the DuroStar DS5500EH is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroStar DS5500EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 4500W and a peak wattage of 5500W. When propane-powered, it has 4275 rated watts and 5225 peak watts.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The DS5500EH, with a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, reaches a run time of around 9 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 8 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH) with propane.
The quite high THD (<12%) of the DS5500EH makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DS5500EH is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The DuroStar DS5500EH has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W22 x H22 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 127 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the DS5500EH includes a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroStar DS5500EH, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit.
The DuroStar DS5500EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS5500EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS5500EH compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the DuroStar DS5500EH only weighs in at 127 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 4000-5000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PG5250, standing at just 99.5 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 69 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Yamaha EF4500iSE with only 58 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DS5500EH falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Dewalt DXGN4500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.44 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PG5250B, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.33 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the DuroStar DS5500EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (127 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||225 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4500 W||4275 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W||5225 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||43.5/21.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 22 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS5500EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3592 W||5092 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3590 W||4180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.