Zoom on the DuroStar DS5500EH
In a nutshell, the DuroStar DS5500EH is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroStar DS5500EH provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 4500W along with a peak wattage of 5500W. While propane-powered, it provides 4275 rated watts and 5225 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the DS5500EH, with a 4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 8 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the DS5500EH is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
As the DS5500EH holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the DuroStar DS5500EH is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L25 x W22 x H22 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 122 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The DS5500EH's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroStar DS5500EH also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables, propane hose, funnel and tool kit are included.
The DuroStar DS5500EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS5500EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS5500EH compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the DuroStar DS5500EH stands at only 122 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 4000-5000 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PG5250 with only 99.5 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 69 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower AP5000, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 58 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DS5500EH falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Dewalt DXGN4500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.44 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PG5250B, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.33 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the DuroStar DS5500EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (122 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||225 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4500 W||4275 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W||5225 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||43.5/21.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 22 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS5500EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3592 W||4592 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3590 W||4180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.