Zoom on the DuroStar DS5500EH
In summary, the DuroStar DS5500EH is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroStar DS5500EH provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 4500W along with a peak wattage of 5500W. While propane-powered, it provides 4275 rated watts and 5225 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the DS5500EH, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 9 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.44 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 8 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH).
As the DS5500EH has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Because the DS5500EH is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L25 x W22 x H22 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroStar DS5500EH offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 122 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The DS5500EH's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroStar DS5500EH, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, funnel, tool kit and propane hose.
The DuroStar DS5500EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS5500EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS5500EH compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the DuroStar DS5500EH weighs just 122 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4000 to 5000 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PG5250, weighing just 99.5 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 69 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Yamaha EF4500iSE, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 58 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DS5500EH falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Dewalt DXGN4500, reaching around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.44 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PG5250B. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.33 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the DuroStar DS5500EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (122 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||225 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4500 W||4275 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W||5225 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps||43.5/21.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 22 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS5500EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3587 W||5062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||3595 W||4015 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.