Zoom on the DuroStar DS5000DX
In a nutshell, the DuroStar DS5000DX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroStar DS5000DX provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 4000W along with a peak wattage of 5000W. While propane-powered, it provides 3800 rated watts and 4750 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the DS5000DX, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 8.9 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 7.6 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.62 GPH).
Since the DS5000DX has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DS5000DX is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The DuroStar DS5000DX has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W23 x H22 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 135 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the DS5000DX includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
The DS5000DX also benefits from DuroStar’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroStar DS5000DX also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, propane hose and tool kit.
The DuroStar DS5000DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS5000DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS5000DX compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 135 lbs, the DuroStar DS5000DX belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cummins Onan P4500i with only 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the DS5000DX, with an autonomy of around 8.9 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.45 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (135 lbs)
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4000 W||3800 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W||4750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps||31.7/15.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps||39.6/19.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.9 h||7.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 23 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS5000DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4692 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3190 W||3780 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.