Zoom on the DuroStar DS5000DX
In a nutshell, the DuroStar DS5000DX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroStar DS5000DX allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 4,000W and a starting wattage of 5,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,800 rated watts and 4,750 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the DS5000DX, with a 4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for up to 22 hours with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH). When using propane, it can run for up to 22 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.21 GPH).
Since the DS5000DX has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
As the DS5000DX holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the DuroStar DS5000DX is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L25 x W23 x H22 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 135 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the DS5000DX includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
The DS5000DX also benefits from DuroStar’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroStar DS5000DX also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel and propane hose are included.
The DuroStar DS5000DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS5000DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS5000DX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- A weight of 135 lbs makes the DuroStar DS5000DX one of the heavier dual fuel devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN DF402iX with only 66.1 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Since the DS5000DX boasts with a run time of up to 22 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most dual fuel generators of a comparable output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Firman WH03662OF, reaching up to 25 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Champion 200988. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.16 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the DuroStar DS5000DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (135 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||4,000 W||3,800 W|
|Starting watts||5,000 W||4,750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps||31.7/15.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps||39.6/19.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||22 h||22 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 23 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS5000DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3192 W||4192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3190 W||3780 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.