Zoom on the DuroStar DS4850EH
In summary, the DuroStar DS4850EH is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroStar DS4850EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3,850W and a peak wattage of 4,850W. When propane-powered, it has 3,658 rated watts and 4,608 peak watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The DS4850EH, with a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, reaches a run time of up to 23 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 18 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.26 GPH) with propane.
Since the DS4850EH has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DS4850EH is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The DuroStar DS4850EH has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W24 x H21 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 122 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The DS4850EH's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroStar DS4850EH's package also includes these accessories: funnel, tool kit, propane hose and battery charging cables.
The DuroStar DS4850EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS4850EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS4850EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With its weight of 122 lbs, the DuroStar DS4850EH is one of the heavier dual fuel generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN DF402iX, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The DS4850EH provides a higher run time than similarly powerful dual fuel devices, reaching up to 23 hours at 25% load. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman WH03662OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Champion 200988, with a fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the DuroStar DS4850EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (122 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||210 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,850 W||3,658 W|
|Starting watts||4,850 W||4,608 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||32.1/16 amps||30.5/15.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||40.4/20.2 amps||38.4/19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||23 h||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS4850EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3072 W||4547 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||3060 W||3480 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.