Zoom on the DuroStar DS4850EH
In a nutshell, the DuroStar DS4850EH is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroStar DS4850EH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3,850W and a starting wattage of 4,850W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,658 rated watts and 4,608 starting watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
Regarding its running time, the DS4850EH, with a 4 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the DS4850EH is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DS4850EH is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the DuroStar DS4850EH, which are L25 x W24 x H21 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 122 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The DS4850EH and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroStar DS4850EH also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, propane hose, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The DuroStar DS4850EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS4850EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS4850EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its dry weight is 122 pounds, the DuroStar DS4850EH is one of the heavier of the dual fuel products which can generate 3500 to 4500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN DF402iX, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 69 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The DS4850EH's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.4 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, with a fuel consumption of 0.23 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel generators, the DuroStar DS4850EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (122 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,850 W||3,658 W|
|Starting watts||4,850 W||4,608 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||32.1/16 amps||30.5/15.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||40.4/20.2 amps||38.4/19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS4850EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||3072 W||4547 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||3060 W||3480 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.