Zoom on the DuroStar DS4500DX
In a nutshell, the DuroStar DS4500DX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroStar DS4500DX delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4500W. When propane-powered, it has 3325 rated watts and 4275 peak watts.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office).
The DS4500DX, with a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10.4 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 8.9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.53 GPH) with propane.
The quite high THD (<12%) of the DS4500DX makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Since the DS4500DX bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The DuroStar DS4500DX has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W23 x H22 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 126 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The DS4500DX's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The DS4500DX also benefits from DuroStar’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroStar DS4500DX also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, propane hose and tool kit.
The DuroStar DS4500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS4500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS4500DX compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a dry weight of 126 pounds, the DuroStar DS4500DX is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 69 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cat INV4000E, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 51 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the DS4500DX, reaching around 10.4 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.38 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the DuroStar DS4500DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (126 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W||3325 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W||4275 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps||27.7/13.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.4 h||8.9 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Metal, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 23 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS4500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||4242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.