Zoom on the DuroStar DS4500DX
In summary, the DuroStar DS4500DX is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroStar DS4500DX provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3,500W along with a peak wattage of 4,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 3,325 rated watts and 4,275 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The DS4500DX, with a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, reaches a run time of up to 25 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH) with propane.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the DS4500DX is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
As the DS4500DX holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L25 x W23 x H22 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroStar DS4500DX offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 126 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The DS4500DX's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The DS4500DX also benefits from DuroStar’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroStar DS4500DX also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, propane hose and funnel.
The DuroStar DS4500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS4500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS4500DX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 126 pounds, the DuroStar DS4500DX is one of the heavier dual fuel generators producing between 3000 and 4000 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the A-iPower SUA4300iD, weighing just 54.8 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 69 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The DS4500DX provides one of the highest run time among similarly powerful dual fuel devices, reaching up to 25 hours at 25% load.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is among the most fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel generators, the DuroStar DS4500DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (126 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,500 W||3,325 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W||4,275 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps||27.7/13.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||25 h||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Metal, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 23 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS4500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||4242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.