-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 1
Zoom on the DuroStar DS4500DX
In a nutshell, the DuroStar DS4500DX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroStar DS4500DX delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3,500W and a peak wattage of 4,500W. When propane-powered, it has 3,325 rated watts and 4,275 peak watts.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the DS4500DX, with its 4 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 25 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
The DS4500DX is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Because the DS4500DX is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The DuroStar DS4500DX has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W23 x H22 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 126 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the DS4500DX's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The DS4500DX also benefits from DuroStar’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroStar DS4500DX, the following accessories are also included: funnel, tool kit and propane hose.
The DuroStar DS4500DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS4500DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS4500DX compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a dry weight of 126 pounds, the DuroStar DS4500DX is one of the heavier dual fuel devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM3500iAED, with a dry weight of just 56.2 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 69 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Since the DS4500DX boasts with a run time of up to 25 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as one of the dual fuel devices with the highest run time among those of a comparable output.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is one of the most fuel efficient units within its wattage category.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W dual fuel generators, the DuroStar DS4500DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (126 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,500 W||3,325 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W||4,275 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps||27.7/13.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps||35.6/17.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||25 h||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 23 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS4500DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||4242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.