Zoom on the DuroStar DS4400E
In a nutshell, the DuroStar DS4400E is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The DuroStar DS4400E's design includes a gasoline-fueled 208 cc (7 hp) DuroStar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4400W.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the DS4400E can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.35 GPH).
Since the DS4400E has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Since the DS4400E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The DuroStar DS4400E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L24 x W17 x H17 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 125 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the DS4400E's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroStar DS4400E's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, tool kit and funnel.
The DuroStar DS4400E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS4400E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS4400E compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 125 lbs, the DuroStar DS4400E belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 69 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cat INV4000E, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 51 dBA.
- The DS4400E, offering a run time of around 11.5 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 0.35 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the DuroStar DS4400E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (125 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc DuroStar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||36.7/18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 17 x 17 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS4400E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2797 W||3897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.