Zoom on the DuroStar DS4400E
In a nutshell, the DuroStar DS4400E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The DuroStar DS4400E is powered by a 208 cc (7 hp) DuroStar OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4400W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The DS4400E can operate for around 11.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.35 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the DS4400E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DS4400E is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the DuroStar DS4400E, which are L25 x W24 x H21 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 122 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The DS4400E and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroStar DS4400E's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroStar DS4400E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS4400E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS4400E compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a dry weight of 122 pounds, the DuroStar DS4400E is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 69 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cat INV4000E with only 51 dBA.
- The DS4400E, offering a run time of around 11.5 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.35 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the DuroStar DS4400E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Acceptable noise (69 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (122 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc DuroStar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||36.7/18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 24 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS4400E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||4242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.