-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 4
Zoom on the DuroStar DS13000E
In summary, the DuroStar DS13000E is a powerful portable generator especially useful for professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure.
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The DuroStar DS13000E houses a 500 cc (18 hp) DuroStar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 10,500W along with a peak wattage of 13,000W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, the DS13000E can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.04 GPH).
Since the DS13000E has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Even though this DuroStar generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DS13000E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the DuroStar DS13000E, which are L29 x W30 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 236 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the DS13000E includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroStar DS13000E also comes with some accessories: tool kit and funnel are included.
The DuroStar DS13000E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS13000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS13000E compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 11000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the DuroStar DS13000E weighs just 236 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 10000 to 11000 rated wattage generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of only 218 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 69 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 8 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the DS13000E is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Powerhorse 13000ES, with around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 1.04 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.78 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-11000W generators, the DuroStar DS13000E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (236 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||500 cc DuroStar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||10,500 W|
|Starting watts||13,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||87.5/43.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||108.3/54.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||17 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS13000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||8372 W||9872 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||8390 W||8980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Pressure washer (1 hp)||1200||3600|
|Total||8360 W||12860 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.