Zoom on the DuroStar DS13000E
In summary, the DuroStar DS13000E is a powerful portable generator especially useful for professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working.
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The DuroStar DS13000E's engine, 500 cc (18 hp) DuroStar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 10500W and reaches a peak wattage of 13000W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
With a full tank, the DS13000E can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.98 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons.
The quite high THD (<12%) of the DS13000E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Even if this DuroStar generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, as the DS13000E holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the DuroStar DS13000E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L29 x W30 x H26 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 232 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The DS13000E's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroStar DS13000E's package also includes these accessories: funnel and tool kit.
The DuroStar DS13000E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS13000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS13000E compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 11000 W).
- As for its weight, the DuroStar DS13000E weighs only 232 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 10000-11000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of only 218 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 69 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the DS13000E, with an autonomy of around 8.5 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.98 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.78 GPH, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-11000W generators, the DuroStar DS13000E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (232 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||500 cc DuroStar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||10500 W|
|Starting watts||13000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||87.5/43.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||108.3/54.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS13000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||8382 W||9857 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||8385 W||8835 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||8360 W||12860 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.