Zoom on the DuroStar DS13000E
In summary, the DuroStar DS13000E is a powerful portable generator especially useful for professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure.
Power & Run Time
The DuroStar DS13000E houses a 500 cc (18 hp) DuroStar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 10,500W along with a peak wattage of 13,000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, the DS13000E may run for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.98 GPH).
Since the DS13000E has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This DuroStar generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DS13000E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L29 x W30 x H26 in, the conventional, open frame design of the DuroStar DS13000E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 232 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The DS13000E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroStar DS13000E, the following accessories are also included: funnel and tool kit.
The DuroStar DS13000E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS13000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS13000E compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 11000 W).
- Weight-wise, the DuroStar DS13000E has only 232 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 10000 to 11000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of just 218 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 69 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 8.5 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DS13000E falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, boasting with around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.98 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a fuel consumption of 0.78 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-11000W generators, the DuroStar DS13000E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (232 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||500 cc DuroStar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||10,500 W|
|Starting watts||13,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||87.5/43.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||108.3/54.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS13000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||8382 W||9857 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||8385 W||8835 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||8360 W||12860 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.