Zoom on the DuroStar DS13000DX
In a nutshell, the DuroStar DS13000DX is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroStar DS13000DX delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 10,500W and a peak wattage of 13,000W. When propane-powered, it has 9,975 rated watts and 12,350 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, the DS13000DX can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.98 GPH), or for around 3.2 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.47 GPH) using propane.
The DS13000DX is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel features the following 7 AC outlets:
Even if this DuroStar generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, because the DS13000DX is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the DuroStar DS13000DX, which are L30 x W29 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 240 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The DS13000DX and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The DS13000DX also benefits from DuroStar’s CO Alert carbon monoxide shutdown. If CO levels become unsafe or rapidly increase, the generator will automatically shut down, an indicator will light red, and the engine will not restart for 5 minutes.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroStar DS13000DX also comes with some accessories: propane hose, tool kit and funnel are included.
The DuroStar DS13000DX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS13000DX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS13000DX compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 11000 W).
- As its weight is 240 pounds, the DuroStar DS13000DX falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 10000-11000 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of just 218 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 74 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 8.5 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DS13000DX falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, as it provides around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.98 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.78 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-11000W generators, the DuroStar DS13000DX is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Alert technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- Decent weight (240 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||500 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||10,500 W||9,975 W|
|Starting watts||13,000 W||12,350 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||87.5/43.8 amps||83.1/41.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||108.3/54.2 amps||102.9/51.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h||3.2 h|
|Run time @25% load||17 h||6.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 29 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS13000DX is covered under a warranty for up to 5 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||8372 W||9872 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||8390 W||8980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||8360 W||12860 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.