Zoom on the DuroStar DS12000EH
In summary, the DuroStar DS12000EH is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroStar DS12000EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 9,500W and a peak wattage of 12,000W. When propane-powered, it has 8,750 rated watts and 10,500 peak watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher).
As for its running time, the DS12000EH, along with its 8.3 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 19 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 1.04 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 7 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.67 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the DS12000EH is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
While this DuroStar generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DS12000EH is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The DuroStar DS12000EH has the following dimensions: L29 x W30 x H26 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 224 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The DS12000EH's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroStar DS12000EH's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, battery charging cables, tool kit and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroStar DS12000EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS12000EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS12000EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- At a dry weight of 224 pounds, the DuroStar DS12000EH is one of the heavier dual fuel devices which can produce between 9000 and 10000 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of just 196 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA12000ED with only 69 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the DS12000EH, reaching around 8 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other dual fuel products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar G12KBN, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 1.04 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Rainier R12000DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W dual fuel generators, the DuroStar DS12000EH is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (224 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9,500 W||8,750 W|
|Starting watts||12,000 W||10,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||87.5/43.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||3.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||19 h||7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS12000EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7572 W||9047 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Pressure washer (1 hp)||1200||3600|
|Total||7340 W||11840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.