Zoom on the DuroStar DS12000EH
In a nutshell, the DuroStar DS12000EH is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroStar DS12000EH provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 9500W along with a peak wattage of 12000W. While propane-powered, it provides 8750 rated watts and 10500 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the DS12000EH, with its 8.3 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 1.04 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 4 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.18 GPH).
The quite high THD (<12%) of the DS12000EH makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This DuroStar generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DS12000EH is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the DuroStar DS12000EH is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L29 x W30 x H26 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 224 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the DS12000EH includes a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroStar DS12000EH also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, propane hose, funnel and battery charging cables. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroStar DS12000EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS12000EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS12000EH compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- As its weight is 224 pounds, the DuroStar DS12000EH falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 9000-10000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of only 196 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 69 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the DS12000EH, reaching around 8 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 1.04 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen9500DF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the DuroStar DS12000EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (224 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9500 W||8750 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||87.5/43.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||4 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS12000EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7567 W||9067 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Pressure washer (1 hp)||1200||3600|
|Total||7340 W||11840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.