-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 27
Zoom on the DuroStar DS10000EH
In summary, the DuroStar DS10000EH is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroStar DS10000EH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 8,000W and a starting wattage of 10,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 7,600 rated watts and 9,500 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the DS10000EH, with its 8.3 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 22 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 8.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.55 GPH).
The DS10000EH is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even if this DuroStar generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, as the DS10000EH holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the DuroStar DS10000EH is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L29 x W30 x H26 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 220 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The DS10000EH's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroStar DS10000EH, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, tool kit, funnel and propane hose. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroStar DS10000EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS10000EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS10000EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 220 lbs, the DuroStar DS10000EH belongs in the expected weight range for dual fuel devices which can produce between 7500 and 8500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Cummins Onan P9500df, weighing just 194 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 72 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar type and power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Genmax GM9000iED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 62 dBA.
- As the DS10000EH features an autonomy of up to 22 hours at 25% load, it has one of the highest run times in comparison to the other dual fuel generators of its power range.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.38 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP9000iH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.35 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W dual fuel generators, the DuroStar DS10000EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (220 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||8,000 W||7,600 W|
|Starting watts||10,000 W||9,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps||63.3/31.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||22 h||8.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS10000EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6372 W||7872 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||6390 W||6980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.