Zoom on the DuroStar DS10000EH
In summary, the DuroStar DS10000EH is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroStar DS10000EH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 8,000W and a starting wattage of 10,000W. If propane-powered, it gives 7,600 rated watts and 9,500 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The DS10000EH, with a fuel capacity of 8.3 gallons, reaches a run time of up to 22 hours utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.38 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of up to 8.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.55 GPH) with propane.
As the DS10000EH has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
While this DuroStar generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the DS10000EH is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the DuroStar DS10000EH, which are L29 x W30 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 220 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The DS10000EH's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroStar DS10000EH also comes with some accessories: tool kit, battery charging cables, funnel and propane hose are included. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroStar DS10000EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroStar DS10000EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroStar DS10000EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- With a dry weight of 220 pounds, the DuroStar DS10000EH finds itself in the expected weight range for dual fuel generators able to produce between 7500 and 8500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Cummins Onan P9500df, standing at just 194 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its type and power category, as it is rated at 72 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Genmax GM9000iED with only 62 dBA.
- As the DS10000EH features an autonomy of up to 22 hours at 25% load, it has one of the highest run times in comparison to the other dual fuel generators of its power range.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.38 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP9000iH. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.35 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W dual fuel generators, the DuroStar DS10000EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (220 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||439 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||8,000 W||7,600 W|
|Starting watts||10,000 W||9,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps||63.3/31.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps||79.2/39.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||22 h||8.5 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 8.3 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The DuroStar brand belongs to DuroMax, a company founded in 2003 and based in Ontario, California. DuroStar generators usually have a DuroMax twin, and only differ in their color scheme and in the factory in which they were produced. While DuroStar generators and engines are manufactured in China, the design and servicing centers reside in the US.
The DuroStar DS10000EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroStar generators, please consult DuroStar's (DuroMax) warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6372 W||7872 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||6390 W||6980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.