Zoom on the DuroMax XP9000iH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP9000iH is a powerful portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP9000iH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 7600W and a starting wattage of 9000W. If propane-powered, it gives 7200 rated watts and 8550 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (XP9000iH-PK parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
DuroMax’s Switch On Demand technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), this inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the XP9000iH can also be remotely started (key fob included).
As for its running time, the XP9000iH, along with its 6.9 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 4.5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.04 GPH).
As the XP9000iH produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (1 x USB-A and 1 x USB-C) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Even though this DuroMax generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the XP9000iH holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage. The unit also features an ATS plug, which makes it compatible with automatic transfer switches.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L27 x W21 x H25 in), the DuroMax XP9000iH, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 237 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 4 wheels and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the XP9000iH's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the voltage, frequency, lifetime run hours and power output.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the DuroMax XP9000iH also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, key fob, battery charger, tool kit and propane hose.
The DuroMax XP9000iH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP9000iH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP9000iH compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- As its dry weight is 237 pounds, the DuroMax XP9000iH is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 7500 to 8500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, weighing just 183 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 68 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Genmax GM9000iED. With just 62 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The XP9000iH provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 11 hours at 50% load. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 100416, with around 12.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.63 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Pulsar PG10000B16 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the DuroMax XP9000iH is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- USB-C port
- ATS plug
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Switch On Demand technology
- Quiet for its power (68 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- On the expensive side
- On the heavy side (237 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||459 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||7600 W||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W||8550 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||63.3/31.7 amps||60/30 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A and USB-C)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||6.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 21 x 25 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charger, propane hose, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP9000iH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||6075 W||7575 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||6060 W||6650 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
Components from China, and or engine manufactured there also? (Asked July 23, 2021)
The unit, including its engine, is manufactured in China.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.