Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP8500EH is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the DuroMax XP8500EH delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 7,000W and a peak wattage of 8,500W. When propane-powered, it has 6,650 rated watts and 8,075 peak watts.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The XP8500EH, with a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) with propane.
Since the XP8500EH has a somewhat high THD (<12%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP8500EH is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The DuroMax XP8500EH has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30 x W30 x H26 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 204 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the XP8500EH's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the DuroMax XP8500EH also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables, funnel, propane hose and tool kit are included. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- A weight of 204 lbs makes the DuroMax XP8500EH one of the heavier dual fuel devices in the 6500-7500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 72 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar type and power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 70 dBA.
- The XP8500EH, falls within the average autonomy range compared to dual fuel generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Firman H07552, reaching around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.79 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.53 GPH, the DuroMax XP7500DX is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP8500EH is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (204 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7,000 W||6,650 W|
|Starting watts||8,500 W||8,075 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps||55.4/27.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps||67.3/33.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output |
2x 5V USB port
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.