Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP8500EH is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP8500EH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 7000W and a starting wattage of 8500W. If propane-powered, it gives 6650 rated watts and 8075 starting watts.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
Regarding its running time, the XP8500EH, with a 7.9 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH).
The XP8500EH is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<12%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Since the XP8500EH bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The DuroMax XP8500EH has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30 x W30 x H26 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 204 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The XP8500EH and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the DuroMax XP8500EH's package also includes these accessories: funnel, propane hose, battery charging cables and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500EH compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 204 lbs, the DuroMax XP8500EH belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 72 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- The XP8500EH's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, reaching around 14 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.79 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (204 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W||6650 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W||8075 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps||55.4/27.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps||67.3/33.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output |
2x 5V USB port
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.