Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP8500EH is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the DuroMax XP8500EH allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 7000W and a starting wattage of 8500W. If propane-powered, it gives 6650 rated watts and 8075 starting watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The XP8500EH, with a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) with propane.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease and two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP8500EH is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the DuroMax XP8500EH is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L30 x W30 x H26 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 204 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The XP8500EH's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP8500EH also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500EH compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- With a dry weight of 204 pounds, the DuroMax XP8500EH finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 72 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- Offering around 10 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the XP8500EH is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, as it provides around 14 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.79 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.38 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the DuroMax XP8500EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (204 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W||6650 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W||8075 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps||55.4/27.7 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps||67.3/33.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output
2x 5V USB port
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.