Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500EH
In a nutshell, the DuroMax XP8500EH is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP8500EH provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 7000W along with a peak wattage of 8500W. While propane-powered, it provides 6650 rated watts and 8075 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The XP8500EH, with a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, reaches a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.79 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) with propane.
As the XP8500EH has a relatively high THD (<12%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy and two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the XP8500EH is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The DuroMax XP8500EH has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30 x W30 x H26 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 204 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The XP8500EH and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the DuroMax XP8500EH also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, tool kit, battery charging cables and funnel. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- With its weight of 204 lbs, the DuroMax XP8500EH is one of the heavier dual fuel generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its type and power category, as it is rated at 72 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 70 dBA.
- Given that the XP8500EH reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful dual fuel generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman H07552, with around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.79 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the DuroMax XP7500DX, with a fuel consumption of 0.53 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP8500EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (204 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W||6650 W|
|Starting watts||8500 W||8075 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps||55.4/27.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps||67.3/33.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output |
2x 5V USB port
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5587 W||7062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5580 W||6000 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.