Zoom on the DuroMax XP8500EH
In summary, the DuroMax XP8500EH is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile DuroMax XP8500EH provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 7,000W along with a peak wattage of 8,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 6,650 rated watts and 8,075 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the XP8500EH, along with its 7.9 gallons fuel capacity, can run for up to 25 hours with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.66 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for up to 10 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.47 GPH).
The quite high THD (<12%) of the XP8500EH makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy and two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Because the XP8500EH is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the DuroMax XP8500EH, which are L30 x W30 x H26 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 204 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The XP8500EH's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the DuroMax XP8500EH, the following accessories are also included: funnel, battery charging cables, tool kit and propane hose. An official storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The DuroMax XP8500EH is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The DuroMax XP8500EH versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the DuroMax XP8500EH compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 204 pounds, the DuroMax XP8500EH is one of the heavier dual fuel generators producing between 6500 and 7500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 72 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Champion 201175. With just 61 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The XP8500EH provides one of the highest run time among similarly powerful dual fuel devices, reaching around 12 hours at 50% load.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.66 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the DuroMax XP7500DX. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.53 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W dual fuel generators, the DuroMax XP8500EH is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (72 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (204 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc DuroMax OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7,000 W||6,650 W|
|Starting watts||8,500 W||8,075 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps||55.4/27.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||70.8/35.4 amps||67.3/33.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||4 h|
|Run time @25% load||25 h||10 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output |
2x 5V USB port
|Fuel tank||7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 30 x 26 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Duromax is a small, American based power equipment company, with headquarters in Ontario, California. Duromax specializes in several products, including pumps, engines, pressure washers, and most importantly, power generators. In this regard, the company focuses solely on portable generators, of mostly small and medium power outputs, and dual fuel devices. Duromax’s generators are designed and serviced in the US, however, their production is outsourced overseas. Founded in 2003, DuroMax starts to be seen as an important player in the power generator market.
The DuroMax XP8500EH is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of DuroMax generators, please consult DuroMax's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-844-DUROMAX (844-387-6629).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5595 W||6185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3980 W||8480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.